Advisor on product liability issues
Evan Thomsen helps clients achieve success in litigation, especially in product liability defense. Evan concentrates on the defense of product manufacturers against product liability and negligence claims involving various products, including lift trucks, scooters, motorcycles, personal watercrafts, rock crushers and medical devices, among other products.
His efficiency in generating high quality research, work product and briefs instills clients with confidence when attempting to dismiss cases, challenge experts or obtain summary judgment.
Experience in Action
- Represents clients at every stage of litigation, with experience in everything from pleadings to discovery to motion practice to trial preparation.
- Challenges opposing party’s experts. Evan is well-versed in the standards to challenge experts under Daubert, Frye or state standards to ensure only qualified and reliable science is presented to the jury.
- Leverages statutes and rules to fight forum shopping, either removing to federal court or transferring venue based on the needs and circumstances of the case.
- Seeks summary judgment in product liability cases. With an understanding of the product liability specific cases and rules, Evan drafts strong summary judgment motions for clients in any jurisdiction.
- Obtained summary judgment for a client in federal court, based on an argument that the plaintiff failed to file the lawsuit prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations.
- Successfully enforced an arbitration agreement in state court on behalf of a client despite the opposing party contesting the arbitration on grounds of enforceability and unconscionability.
- Obtained an order excluding plaintiff’s expert on the eve of trial, which led to the plaintiff dismissing the lawsuit against the client with prejudice.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Civil Air Patrol, 2010-present
Clerk for Chief Justice Annette Kingsland Ziegler of the Wisconsin Supreme Court (2020-2021 Term)
Extern for the Honorable Elizabeth Gobeil of the Court of Appeals of Georgia (Fall 2019)
News & Insights
- Emory University School of Law (J.D., 2020)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., 2016)