Experienced, pragmatic litigation
A seasoned first-chair trial and appellate attorney with more than four decades of diverse commercial litigation experience representing public and private companies, George Mykulak focuses on:
- Franchise and product distribution disputes involving motor vehicle manufacturers and distributors, fast food and other franchisors, and beverage distributors
- CDA/Section 230 and safety issues faced by online platforms
- Complex contract and business tort controversies
George provides reliable and cost-effective representation to his clients based on his years of experience, his understanding of his client's individual business goals and his knowledge of the disparate governing regulatory schemes. Clients describe him as a pragmatic, strategic and tenacious litigator.
While affiliated with Quarles' Washington, D.C., office, George works remotely in the Boston area.
Admitted in Massachusetts. Not admitted in Washington D.C.
Experience in Action
- Litigates in federal and state courts, agencies and boards and arbitrations throughout the United States in connection with a variety of franchise/distribution, contract/business tort and other commercial disputes. Many of George's cases are published decisions and several are cases of first impression.
- Counsels clients on a wide spectrum of franchise and distribution issues, including franchise establishments, relocations and terminations, national market withdrawals, encroachment and branding issues, incentive plans, bankruptcy, vicarious liability, audits and rights of first refusal.
- Serves as national litigation counsel for a leading online marketplace for family care in connection with CDA/Section 230 and safety issues.
- Successfully defended a motor vehicle franchisor in a seven-day administrative proceeding commenced by four Connecticut dealers challenging the establishment of a new dealer and then obtained affirmance in two state appellate courts.
- Obtained dismissals on behalf of an import motorcycle distributor on the eve of trials in New York and Virginia, prompting the Virginia legislature to amend the governing statute in response.
- Successfully represented a New England motor vehicle distributor in resolving litigations pending in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
- Obtained dismissal of statutory and common law claims asserted by a dealer in the Northern District of Illinois based on the dealer’s failure to disclose them in prior bankruptcy proceedings.
- Obtained dismissals of two New Jersey state court actions, one based on CDA/Section 230 immunity, on behalf of a leading online family care marketplace.
- Successfully defended the acquiring entity under a merger agreement in a declaratory judgment action filed by one of the sellers seeking the release from escrow of shares of stock held as security for indemnity obligations. Obtained a ruling from the Northern District of New York dismissing the case based on the statute of limitations and a subsequent affirmance from the Second Circuit.
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation and Franchise Law, 2020-2023
- Chambers USA®, Litigation: General Commercial - Massachusetts, 2020, 2021
- New England/Massachusetts Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation, 2010–present; Franchise and Dealership Law, 2004
- AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, 1996–present
Professional & Civic Activities
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services, member
- Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers, hearing officer
- Lawyers Clearinghouse on Affordable Housing and Homelessness, board of directors, past president
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section Forum on Franchising and Senior Attorneys Division, member
- Boston Bar Association, Business Litigation Section, Steering Committee for Annual Meeting, 2014
- Boston Bar Foundation Society of Fellows
- Steering Committee, John & Abigail Adams Benefit, 2014–2016
- Fellows Committee, 2015–2017
- Litigation Counsel of America, senior fellow
News & Insights
- News Release
- News Release
- News Release
- News Release
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1981)
- International & Comparative Law Review, Articles and Citations Editor
- Grimes Moot Court/Mock Trial Judge
- Yale University (B.A., 1977)
- Major: English
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts