Labor and employment counsel grounded in business, finance and trial experience
Hans Riede helps clients understand the potential benefits, risks and costs associated with any potential employment or trade secrets litigation. When litigation is warranted, Hans is a fierce advocate for his clients, who include corporations, law firms, AmLaw 100 lawyers, doctors, business executives and professional athletes. His diverse educational background in business and finance, combined with extensive trial experience, enables him to provide bottom-line-focused advice on a wide range of topics, including:
- Trade secrets and defamation cases.
- The many impacts of COVID-19 on business operations and employees, including remote workforce policies, employee safety, family and medical leave due to COVID-19 or childcare interruptions, ADA accommodations, preventing discrimination and harassment related to COVID-19.
- Class actions and collective actions.
- Non-compete agreements.
- Executive compensation contracts.
Hans is Washington, D.C., chair of the Labor & Employment Group.
- Lead attorney and first-chair trial counsel for commodities brokerage firm client in its successful defense of multi-million-dollar trade secrets, tort and business conspiracy lawsuit.
- Lead attorney and first-chair trial counsel for health care consulting firm in its successful defense of multiple-six-figure breach of contract lawsuit brought by former executive.
- Lead counsel in successful defense at trial and on appeal of shareholder derivative action that sought forced corporate dissolution and over $150 million in damages with all derivative claims dismissed, and a multiple-hundred-thousand-dollar judgment procured in favor of client/defendants due to plaintiff’s “vexatious conduct.”
- Representation of well-known regional restaurant in its successful defense of hybrid FLSA/state wage and hour collective and class action claims.
- Defense of Fortune 1000 CEO in multi-million-dollar business tort lawsuit. Authored and successfully argued motion to dismiss.
- First-chair trial counsel for government contractor client in successful enforcement of employee non-compete agreements.
- Successful defense of claims brought under the False Claims Act (FCA), the Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), Title VII and the FLSA.
- Virginia Business Magazine "Legal Elite" - Alternative Dispute Resolution (2019)
- Virginia Business Magazine "Legal Elite" - Young Lawyers - Under 40 (2017)
- Virginia Business Magazine "Legal Elite" - Commercial Litigation (2015)
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars (Employment Litigation: Defense, 2014-2019)
- Selected for inclusion in Washington DC Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars (Employment Litigation: Defense, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
Professional & Civic Activities
- Fairfax County Public Schools (Student Mentor)
News & Insights
- Media Mention
- News Release
- Presentation"Pregnancy Discrimination Act"District of Columbia Women’s Bar Association
- Presentation"The Fair Labor Standards Act and Related Wage and Hour Compliance Issues in the Workplace"
- University of Richmond School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce (B.A., 2002)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- Conversational Spanish