Approachable, knowledgeable and collaborative patent and trademark counsel
Jim Brown helps inventors bridge the gap between their flash of creative genius and the development of a successful business. Helping clients create valuable intellectual property (IP) assets, his focus is patent prosecution in the fields of:
- Materials science
- Computer technologies
- Solar energy
- Clean technology and nanotechnology
- Mechanical and medical devices
Jim learned as a young lawyer how to sit down with clients, listen and understand their needs. Bringing extensive experience in the licensing, purchase and sale of IP assets, business reorganizations and litigation, he is well positioned to counsel clients in the business and transactional as well as legal aspects of IP law. He enjoys digging into technical details with engineers and presenting understandable, efficient IP commercialization and protection strategies to business leaders. Jim strives to become a long-term partner with his clients.
Experience in Action
- Guiding clients on strategic patent portfolio development and management.
- Crafting and advising on IP opinions, including freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity opinions.
- Advising on trademark.
- Providing support for IP litigation.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Colorado Cleantech Industry Association
- Colorado Software and Internet Association
News & Insights
- Colorado School of Mines (B.S., 2003)
- Engineering – Electrical Specialty
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., 1986)
- Purdue University (B.S., 1983)
- Natural Resources Mgmt. and Environmental Science
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office