Diverse and collaborative commercial litigation experience
Jessica Heckinger Nowak guides clients on a wide variety of commercial litigation issues. She has experience with disputes on issues such as licensing, actions seeking to enforce restrictive employment covenants, trade secrets, breach of contract, breaches of fiduciary duties, intellectual property and trademark, patent, employment, securities litigation and litigation related to real estate transactions. Jessica has handled matters in federal, state, appellate and bankruptcy courts, as well as arbitration hearings. With clients ranging from some of the world’s largest corporations to privately held companies and individuals, her litigation work covers areas such as:
- Health care and medical devices
- Intellectual property
- Real estate disputes
Jessica works collaboratively with her clients on every matter, developing a deep understanding of their needs, goals and operations to maximize her ability to effectively and efficiently represent them while minimizing disruption to their business.
Medical Device and Health Care Industry
- Served as counsel to one of the world's largest medical device companies for more than a decade, advising and representing them in a wide range of disputes, including royalty licensing disputes, breach of contract litigation, restrictive covenant litigation, litigation arising from various other commercial disputes and licensing agreement disputes.
- Represented a medical device company in royalty licensing disputes where the plaintiffs sought nine figures in royalties. The matters involved complex contract and intellectual property issues and they proceeded to multi-week arbitrations, where the client prevailed on all counts.
- Represented an x-ray tube manufacturer in seeking a preliminary injunction in federal court in a patent infringement dispute, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented one of the world’s largest luxury goods conglomerates and its subsidiaries in multiple trademark and licensing disputes.
- Defended eight employees in an action for a TRO and preliminary injunction seeking post-employment restrictions in federal court, including preparing testimony for the preliminary injunction hearing, drafting responses to expedited interrogatories and drafting supporting affidavits.
- Represented an x-ray tube manufacturer in a misappropriation of trade secrets claim against a competitor and three former employees, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended an REIT in a federal court action arising from a failed commercial real estate transaction, resulting in a successful dismissal of the majority of claims against the client and a favorable settlement on the remaining claims.
- Represented an REIT in an action to terminate a purchase agreement due to the changed condition of a multi-family residential real estate property as a result of COVID-19.
- 40 & Under Hot List, Benchmark Litigation, 2018-2020
Professional & Civic Activities
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Bearcat Ball Planning Committee, co-chair, 2011
News & Insights
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2006)
- DePaul University Law Review, member
- Phi Delta Phi Honors Society
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (B.S., highest distinction, 2003)
- Bronze Tablet Recipient
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit