Savvy guidance across varied types of litigation
Jimmie Pursell represents clients in commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation and other business-related disputes. He is particularly experienced in dealing with complex class action lawsuits, business litigation and business bankruptcy litigation, trade secret, noncompetition and non-solicitation disputes, and real estate and construction litigation. Jimmie also regularly:
- Advises on non-compete and non-solicitation disputes in the health care field.
- Prosecutes and defends temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction applications in connection with trade secret and confidentiality cases.
Jimmie takes a practical and pragmatic approach to business disputes and litigation, tailoring creative strategies to the client’s specific needs, goals and interests. At the same time, he believes in giving clients a candid assessment of their case and a realistic view of what is achievable in litigation so the client can make more informed decisions about litigating (or settling) cases. Jimmie advocates for his clients in a strong, but professional, manner driven by his belief that civility achieves more favorable results than acrimony.
Experience in Action
- Assists clients with employee and business separations.
- Represents clients in both state and federal court litigation, including formulating litigation strategies, litigation team management, drafting briefs and handling discovery, court appearances and working with experts.
- Represents businesses in corporate and commercial disputes, including contract disputes, shareholder and LLC member disputes, commercial torts, restrictive covenants and commercial landlord-tenant disputes.
- Counsels clients on IP, trade secret and restrictive covenant issues, both in defense and enforcement.
- Defends retail sales and financing companies involving FCRA, FDCPA, TILA and state law claims.
- Represents clients in internet defamation matters, including identifying anonymous posters to the extent possible.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of national equipment rental company against unfair competition and misappropriation of confidential information claims brought by direct competitor.
- Represented defendant major oil company in a misappropriation of trade secret action; case dismissed for lack of prosecution after obtaining early ruling defeating trade secret claim.
- Defeated application for preliminary injunction brought against medical practice group for alleged breach of restrictive covenants.
- Represented plaintiff in patent infringement action involving water regulation device.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of commercial landlord in claim for alleged wrongful eviction.
- Set aside seven-figure default judgment against business client and successfully litigated the appeal, resulting in a published Court of Appeals decision on Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Resolved a dispute over several patents involving website operations.
- Resolved an international dispute between universities over a collection of patents involving CRISPR technology.
- Represented patent holder in infringement case involving microscope systems.
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- Maricopa County Bar Association (MCBA)
- State Bar of Arizona Intellectual Property Executive Council, member at Large (2018-present)
- State Bar of Arizona Council on Professionalism, faculty (2010)
News & Insights
- News Release
- Presentation“TC Heartland v. Kraft Food Group”Law Firm Alliance – Intellectual Property Community
- Presentation“Cybersecurity: Minimizing Risk and Responding to Breaches”Lucid Agency + Google 2015 Digital Summit
- Presentation“Trademark Litigation Practice Tips”CLE in the Gardens: Cultivating Best Practices in Intellectual Property Law, State Bar of Arizona
- Presentation“Cybersecurity: Minimizing Risk and Responding to Breaches”Jennings Strouss and the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry Seminar
- Article“Business, Social Media and the First Amendment”InBusiness Magazine
- Yale Law School (LL.M., 1999)
- The University of Tulsa College of Law (J.D., 1996)
- Tulsa Law Journal, articles editor (1994-1996)
- Order of the Curule, chair (1996)
- Judge W. Lee Johnson Award (1996)
- Gable and Gotwals Outstanding Student Awards for First, Second and Third-Year Students (1993– 1996)
- West Publishing Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award (1996)
- University of South Alabama (B.A., 1989)
- Criminal Justice
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona