Comprehensive state and local tax counsel with the experience of a CPA
Julie Quigley helps clients with state and local tax matters such as multistate corporate and individual income tax, sales and use tax, property tax, employment tax, state tax credits and incentives, and unclaimed property. With more than 25 years of experience, she also advises on controversies (audits, appeals, negotiations and litigation), compliance, transactional analysis and strategic planning, refund reviews and claims, amnesty and voluntary disclosure negotiations, and business incentives and credits. Julie’s clients come from numerous industries, including:
- Retail and e-commerce
- Construction and real estate
- Health care
- Technology and telecommunications
- Insurance and financial services
- Energy, including renewable energy
In addition to her legal insight, Julie’s clients benefit from her status as a certified public accountant in Arizona, with previous experience at one of the “big four” accounting firms.
Experience in Action
- Executes due diligence and strategic planning for mergers and acquisitions.
- Advises on multistate business incentives and credits analysis and negotiation.
- Represents businesses regarding state corporate income tax issues such as Public Law 86-272 nexus, unitary combination, allocation and apportionment, and business/non-business income.
- Assists businesses and individuals on the multistate income taxation of flow-through entities such as partnerships, S-corporations and limited liability companies, and the sale of ownership interests.
- Represents businesses on multistate sales and use tax nexus, including “Wayfair” economic nexus, filing requirements, exemptions and voluntary disclosure negotiations.
- Provides insight on Arizona taxation of construction activity, including maintenance, repair, replacement, alteration (MRRA) and modification projects, municipal “speculative builder” tax on sale of improved real property and applicable exemptions and deductions.
- Advises on application of property tax, income tax, and sales and use tax to renewable energy projects, including available exemptions and incentives.
- Handles strategic planning and advice regarding the Arizona government property lease excise tax (GPLET).
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association, member
- Arizona Certified Public Accountant (2004)
- State Bar of Arizona
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University (J.D., 1994)
- New Mexico State University (B.A., 1990)
- Superior Court of Arizona