Thoughtful, big picture trademark and IP advice
Kelly Williams guides clients on a variety of trademark and intellectual property (IP) matters. She handles trademark clearance, prosecution, maintenance and enforcement, as well as brand and marketing strategy, development and execution. On the trademark front, she provides strategic management and budgeting advice for domestic and foreign trademark portfolios on behalf of U.S. and foreign clients. On marketing, Kelly advises on the development and execution of global brand campaigns, including review of concept and creative materials and third-party rights clearance. Her clients come from a variety of industries, including:
- Clothing and footwear
- Food and beverage
- Mobile applications
- Retail services and other service sectors
Kelly offers well-reasoned counsel and practical recommendations on critical IP business decisions and risk mitigation strategies, all with an eye on helping her clients achieve their overall business goals.
Admitted in Maryland, Not Admitted in Washington D.C.
Experience in Action
- Conducts trademark clearance searches of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and foreign trademark office databases and prepares availability opinions.
- Prepares, files and prosecutes U.S. trademark applications through to registration and attends to post-registration maintenance.
- Assists clients with trademark enforcement strategies, including infringement investigations, drafting cease and desist letters and settlement negotiations, as well as opposition and cancellation proceedings.
Marketing and Branding
- Negotiates and drafts a variety of commercial agreements, including licensing agreements, IP development agreements, marketing and promotion agency agreements, endorsement and photo/video production agreements.
- Advises on third-party rights management, including photographer, talent, music and other third-party rights agreements, and rights of publicity.
- Provides legal support on drafting of sweepstakes rules and campaign administration.
- Drafts customer rewards programs and provides legal support in implementation.
- 12th Annual Lexology and ACC Global Counsel Awards, "Intellectual Property Team Award," 2018
- World Trademark Review (WTR) 300, 2017, 2018
News & Insights
- News Release
- Presentation“Fighting Counterfeits on a Finite Budget"World Trademark Review's Managing Trademark Assets Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Presentation“Establishing a Comprehensive Global Trademark Strategy"IP Law Summit Hollywood, FL.
- Presentation“The Devil Wears IP: Intellectual Property in The Fashion Industry"Maryland State Bar Association Annual Meeting, Ocean City, MD.
- Presentation“Lessons Learned from the 2016 Summer Olympic Games Marketing — A Look Forward"Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner Webcast, Washington, D.C.
- Presentation“Trends in Trademark Protection"Managing Intellectual Property International Women’s Leadership Forum, New York, NY.
- Quinnipiac University School of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Marquette University (B.A., 1991)