Culturally adept and business-savvy cross-border IP counsel
Ken Chang is an experienced intellectual property (IP) dealmaker, negotiator and problem solver who focuses on overseas IP issues, with a focus on Asia. His counsel addresses areas such as cross-border transactions, IP licensing and disputes, monetization and overseas IP enforcement (particularly in China). Ken’s involvement with negotiations and disputes extends over a wide range of industries, including:
- Biotech, pharmaceutical and medical device
- Consumer electronics
- Design services
International IP deals are complex and often difficult, especially in China. Clients rely on Ken for his experienced, flexible and business-oriented approach to overseas negotiations and disputes. His experience as the founder and managing partner for five years of a prior firm’s Shanghai office, and 20 years of dealing with IP in the Asia-Pacific region, positions him to provide insightful, practical and bespoke advice to clients.
Experience in Action
- Drafting and negotiating cross-border IP transactions, including supply and distribution, research/development, OEM/CM and IP licensing agreements.
- Enforcing and defending IP, both in court and foreign administrative agencies such as customs and national IP administrations, as well as U.S. courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission, helping clients navigate the challenging waters of overseas IP enforcement.
- IP counseling for clients seeking to protect their intellectual property in Asia, understanding the treatment of IP in various Asian jurisdictions and creatively increasing value of IP portfolios.
The CHINATIZE™ Group offers analysis and counsel for clients regarding negotiations and agreements with China-based counterparts. Our attorneys offer expertise on the nuances of commercial relationships in China, how to avoid pitfalls and crafting agreements that close deals but maintain strong protection for the client. CHINATIZE is a trademark and brand name of Quarles & Brady LLP.
- Best Lawyers in America® (2023)
- Colorado Super Lawyers® (2023: Intellectual Property Litigation)
- IAM Patent 1000 (2023: Transactions)
- Denver Business Journal, "40 Under 40"
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association, Member
- California Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Trinity University, Board of Visitors
News & Insights
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (J.D., with honors, 2000)
- Order of St. Ives
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (M.S., with dissertation, 1998)
- Trinity University (B.A., 1992)
- Registered foreign attorney, People’s Republic of China (inactive)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado