Labor and employment litigation
Kevin Hambly represents public and private employers in all areas of labor and employment law. He advocates for higher education institutions in claims involving civil rights, Title IX, the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act, and negligent hiring, supervision and retention. He also represents employers on a variety of matters, including:
- Wrongful termination
- Wage and hour violations
Kevin previously represented plaintiffs in both complex construction defect matters and consumer class actions.
Kevin takes a calculated, results-driven approach to resolving a client’s case. His litigation strategy is to start with the end in mind and gather all facts necessary to present a compelling case to a judge or jury. While keeping business values in mind, Kevin works closely with clients and updates them frequently throughout the course of a case. He also treats every case as if it were his own. Kevin’s litigation strategy has led to several favorable outcomes for clients.
Experience in Action
- Guides clients on and resolves claims involving relationships between school districts and charter schools per the Charter Schools Act of 1992.
- Argues dispositive motions in negligent hiring, supervision and retention lawsuits.
- Handles prelitigation negotiations in harassment, discrimination and retaliation cases on behalf of private employers.
- Prepares wage and hour cases for successful negotiations. Kevin collects client data and prepares memoranda, for both the client and mediator, in wage and hour litigation.
- Prevailed on Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss. Plaintiff filed discrimination and harassment lawsuit against client. After the court gave plaintiff several opportunities to amend, the court dismissed the case without leave to amend.
- Successfully dismissed claim for treble damages. Plaintiff filed lawsuit against client and included claim for treble damages. Kevin successfully dismissed treble damages claim through a motion for judgment on the pleadings.
- Successful trial preparation and negotiations. Plaintiff filed negligence lawsuit against client. Kevin identified several positive facts for client, which led to plaintiff dismissing lawsuit in exchange for a waiver of costs.
Professional & Civic Activities
- San Diego County Bar Association – New Lawyer Division Executive Committee Member and Editor-in-Chief of For the Record, 2019-present
- United States Navy onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard. (2005-2009, San Diego)
- Clerked with the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office, where he worked on claims involving dangerous conditions of public property.
News & Insights
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., 2016)
- University of California, Berkeley (B.A., Distinction in General Scholarship, 2013)
- Arizona State Court
- California State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California