Partnering with California employers to achieve workplace compliance
Kimberly Jansen advises employers on strategic compliance with California’s workplace laws, which remain complex and subject to ongoing change. She understands the intricacies of the California Labor Code, laws against unlawful behavior in the workplace and leave laws. Kimberly advises clients on a broad range of legal issues, including:
- Wage and hour compliance
- Employment handbooks
- Arbitration agreements
- Employee counseling and separations
- Leaves of absence
- Interactive process and reasonable accommodations
Kimberly additionally resolves disputes through direct negotiations and mediation and has experience investigating claims of harassment and retaliation in the workplace. She helps clients meet their legal obligations while balancing business objectives. As a trusted advisor, skilled litigator and oral advocate, she provides her clients with the best quality work from start to finish.
Experience in Action
- Advises clients on California labor and employment law compliance.
- Partners with clients through matters of counseling and discipline.
- Represents primarily small and mid-sized employers in lawsuits brought by individuals alleging violations of California’s FEHA, Labor Code and Business & Professions Code.
- Defends large, mid-size and small corporate clients against discrimination and harassment lawsuits filed across the country, in both state and federal courts.
- Defends clients in complex putative class and representative actions under the Private Attorneys General Act.
- Achieved dismissals through pleading challenges and dispositive motions.
- Successfully argued critical motions in court.
- Obtained satisfactory resolution of lawsuits through direct negotiations, private mediation and settlement conferences.
- Southern California Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" (2013–2016)
Professional & Civic Activities
- Labor & Employment CLA, member
- AWI certificate holder
- PIHRA presenter
- Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, associates advisory board, Los Angeles, CA
- Chair of the board (2012-2013)
- Vice chair of the board (2009-2011)
- Executive committee, member
- Chair of various subcommittees including fundraising, recruitment and social outreach (January 2008-2014)
- James Academy Parent Council, member
News & Insights
- American University Washington College of Law (J.D., 2005)
- Vice president of the Women’s Law Association (2003-2004)
- Thurgood Marshall College (B.A., 2001)
- Political Science/Political Theory Honors Program
- Minor in Sociology
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2006