Effective counsel on regulatory and litigation matters for Medicaid providers
Madison Hartman advises health care industry clients on a wide variety of regulatory and litigation matters, including:
- Federal and state statutory and regulatory compliance related to fraud, waste, abuse and Medicaid.
Her extensive experience with Medicaid enables her to effectively advise clients on state and federal statutory and regulatory requirements for Medicaid providers. Madison also utilizes her past experience to assist clients in navigating legal restrictions and requirements related to telehealth, including recent changes to Indiana’s telehealth laws.
Prior to joining Quarles, Madison worked as a staff attorney at the Office of General Counsel for the Indiana Family & Social Services Administration. In this role, Madison represented the Office of Medicaid Policy & Planning (OMPP) in administrative appeals regarding a wide range of provider and programmatic issues.
Experience in Action
- Represents clients in administrative appeals. Madison has counseled on issues such as Medicaid provider payment suspension, Medicaid provider auditing and overpayment, including overpayment issues for pharmacy providers, Medicaid program provider enrollment, nursing facility rate-setting and nursing facility minimum data set (MDS) audits.
- Advised the OMPP on various legal and policy issues, including managed care, fraud and abuse, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), substance use disorder treatment and opioid prescribing, pharmacy audits and overpayments, and waivers of federal and state regulations during the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Reviewed and advised for a client on all 2021 telehealth legislation in Indiana.
- Researched and advised a client's Medicaid program on managed care contracts.
- Assisted the Indiana Family & Social Services Administration Office of Attorney General with ongoing litigation for agency decisions.
- Reviewed and advised a client's Medicaid program pharmacy team on a data use agreement related to the sharing of confidential drug rebate information.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Healthcare & Life Sciences Section, chair-elect
News & Insights
- Blog - To Be Or Not To 340B
- Presentation"Employment-Based Legal and Policy Solutions for Female Victims of Intimate Partner Violence”The Health Lawyer, American Bar Association
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., 2019)
- Graduate Certificate in Health Law
- DePauw University (B.A., 2016)
- Major: Political Science
- Honor Scholar Program