Developing real estate and growing businesses
Mary Ann Murray helps clients plan and carry out real estate projects and transactions to support business growth and development. She represents buyers, sellers, developers, lenders, borrowers, tenants and nonprofits in a wide variety of:
- Real estate transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, leases, real estate development and construction documentation
- Commercial and financial transactions, including project-based and tax-exempt public finance transactions
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Mary Ann utilized her decades of experience to advise landlords and negotiate lease amendments relating to rent deferral and other lease related obligations. She also has provided advice to commercial office property management regarding actions to be taken in response to CDC recommendations and tenant use of additional premises to conform to social distancing measures.
Experience in Action
- Advising on the acquisition and disposition of real estate, including commercial, industrial, retail and housing properties.
- Negotiating and drafting real estate development and construction agreements, including agreements for office space, medical facilities, industrial properties and multi-family housing.
- Drafting and negotiating leases, on behalf of both landlords and tenants, for office, retail and industrial properties.
- Serving as underwriter's counsel, bank counsel, issuer's counsel and borrower's counsel for tax-exempt, taxable financial transactions and conduit financings.
- Representing a medical office developer in the expansion of Midwest and Southwest property developments. This included the sale and recapitalization of several medical office facilities, construction contract negotiation, loan document negotiation, and permitting and municipal approval.
- Represented the lender in the acquisition of several industrial/commercial properties located in the Midwest. Responsible for preparing and negotiating the loan documentation for the lead lender as well as providing title, survey and diligence review.
- Represented the lender in the refinancing of a portfolio of multifamily properties located throughout Texas and Colorado. Responsible for loan documentation and negotiation, subordination agreements, estoppels, tenant escrow matters, title and survey diligence for the transactions.
- Best Lawyers in America®, Public Finance Law, 2023
Professional & Civic Activities
- National Association of Bond Lawyers (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Missouri Bar Association (Member)
- Commercial Real Estate Executive Women (CREW) (Member)
News & Insights
- News Release
- News Release
- Presentation"Legal Lessons Learned from the Pandemic"CREW Chicago Zoom Meeting
- News Release
- St. Louis University (J.D., 1991)
- William Woods College (B.A., 1984)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri