Business immigration counsel backed by deep government experience
Matt Mauntel-Medici guides his clients on the full range of employment-related immigration matters. As a former U.S. diplomat, Matt is uniquely positioned to help his clients navigate the full range of visa classes. He advises for-profit and nonprofit entities on immigration strategy and compliance, consular processing, visa interview preparation, visa ineligibility waivers, PERM applications and immigration for leaders in research, business and the arts. He works with a variety of industries, including:
- Medical organizations
- Energy companies
- Education institutions
- Financial services businesses
Matt’s clients benefit from his deep and diverse immigration and management experience, which includes serving in the U.S. Department of State (DOS) as vice consul in Brazil and Ireland. There, he led the adjudication of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including E, H, J, L, O and P visas, and was a subject matter expert on complex visa cases involving presidential proclamations, national interest exception review and visa ineligibility waiver requests.
Before his time at DOS, Matt held in-house roles for a multinational professional services firm, where he managed several teams and processes for global procurement and corporate risk management.
Experience in Action
- Prepares clients for in-person interviews through his personal experience at Department of State. Clients trust Matt’s actionable insights into the consular process to help their employees best prepare for difficult visa interviews.
- Empowers global leaders in medicine, research, business and the arts to realize opportunities in the U.S., helping medical providers, energy firms, education companies and businesses attract and retain their top global talent.
- Provides insider knowledge to an opaque process. Matt regularly provides detailed and results-focused advice for clients seeking answers to their global mobility challenges.
- Developed a successful multi-faceted immigration strategy for a global education client following a major acquisition.
- Led an I-9 audit for an auto services industry client, minimizing the exposure of the acquiring client.
- Successfully secured a long-delayed E-2 investor visa for a client despite a global processing backlog.
- Oversaw PERM processing for IT, medical and engineering professionals across various clients.
Professional & Civic Activities
- The Night Ministry, Chicago, Associate Board (2012-2017)
- Legal Council for Health Justice, Chicago, pro bono attorney (2015-2016)
- First United Methodist Church, Chicago, Homeless Ministry (2012-2017)
News & Insights
- Boston College Law School (J.D., 2010)
- Boston College International and Comparative Law Review, articles editor
- Law Students Association, vice president (2009-2010)
- Indiana University Bloomington (B.A., with distinction, 2007)