Wide-ranging employment litigation counsel
Matthew Mushamel represents public and private employers in all areas of labor and employment litigation. He also counsels employers on a variety of matters, including sexual harassment allegations and retaliation investigations. Matthew defends clients on litigation claims related to:
- Wage and hour violations in both the single plaintiff and class action context
- Wrongful termination
Matthew works closely with clients to implement and execute litigation strategies at all stages, including pre-filing investigations, law and motion practice, and the mediation process.
Experience in Action
- Assists employers in pre-filing disputes, including responding to potential-plaintiff demands and advising clients on early resolution of claims.
- Handles class action mediation preparation, analyzes complex employee wage and hour data, and prepares briefing.
- Counsels on new federal and California authority involving the Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) and wage and hour compliance.
- Represents employers in workers compensation claims before the Workers Compensation Appeals Board (WCAB).
Professional & Civic Activities
- PPSC, internship (Summer 2018, 2019)
- California Department of Business Oversight, internship (Summer 2019)
- Judicial extern, Honorable Magistrate Judge Andrew G. Schopler, United States District Court for the Southern District of California (Fall 2018, 2019)
News & Insights
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., 2020)
- San Diego Law Review, Comments Editor.
- University of California, San Diego (B.A., 2016)
- Political Science - Public Law