Persuasive advocate in high-stakes intellectual property litigation
Mike Carwin focuses his practice on complex patent, trademark, copyright and trade secrets litigation. He represents clients across a wide array of industries, including medical devices, pharmaceuticals, transportation and logistics, and battery technology. He also regularly assists clients with complex pre-suit investigations and analyses.
Mike has substantive experience in all stages of litigation. Within two years of receiving his license to practice law, he second chaired and won a two-week trademark infringement jury trial in New York federal court, successfully defending his client against a $120 million damages demand. Since then, he has continued to be a valued member of multiple high-stakes trial teams, and has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants at trial. Mike has also conducted direct and cross examinations of important fact and expert witnesses at multiple federal trials before a judge and jury. Mike understands the importance of thoughtfully developing a winning strategy at the early stages of litigation.
Admitted in California, Missouri and the USPTO. Not admitted in Illinois.
- Representation of a promotional products supplier defending against trade dress infringement in the Southern District of New York to a successful jury verdict.
- Representation of a telecommunications firm defending against patent infringement in the Western District of Texas, gaining a dismissal of the suit.
- Representation of a software and consulting company asserting patent infringement in the Northern District of California.
- Representation of an electrical safety and test equipment manufacturer defending against patent infringement in the Northern District of Illinois, gaining a dismissal of the suit.
Professional & Civic Activities
- United Cerebral Palsy of Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara, board member
News & Insights
- Southwestern Law School (J.D., 2015)
- Octa-Final Oralist; Moot Court Competition (2013)
- University of California, Berkeley (B.A., 2010)
- Molecular & Cell Biology
- Director of Health Services; ASUC, Office of the President
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit