Labor and employment counsel with a focus on higher education
Michelle Lewis counsels on employment law compliance, policy development, diversity initiatives and labor relations. She has in-depth experience developing policies on the prevention of harassment and discrimination in work and learning environments, in addition to conducting small and large-scale employment investigations. Her other employment law experience includes:
- Collective bargaining agreements
Prior to practicing law, Michelle served as an HR director for a major nonprofit organization as well as a senior university administrator with direct oversight of employment law compliance. Clients benefit from her firsthand experience as a career professional with two decades of in-depth knowledge of every aspect of employment law compliance.
Experience in Action
- Advises clients on institutional compliance with Title II, Title VII and Title IX, in addition to Executive Order 11246 (Affirmative Action Programs).
- Serves as an external investigator for Title VII- and Title IX-related complaints for clients in both the for-profit as well as higher education sectors.
- Facilitates trainings on harassment and discrimination prevention, implicit bias and general employment law updates at the local, state and national level.
- Conducts reviews and updates of employee handbooks.
- Saint Louis University "Woman of the Year”
- Outstanding Young Women of America
- Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
Professional & Civic Activities
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
- Mound City Bar Association
News & Insights
- Article"Client Advisory: Illinois Enacts Mandatory Paid Leave Law for Workers"
- Article"Reports and White Papers: Key Takeaways: Implicit Bias and Communications with Key Stakeholders"
- Article"Client Advisory: New Changes to Title IX Regulations Proposed"
- Lindenwood University (M.S.)
- Business Management
- Illinois State University (B.A.)
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D.)
- Dean’s List
- Academic Excellence Awards: legal research and writing, client counseling, worker’s compensation, climate change and the law
- Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honor Society
- ABA Regional Client Counseling Competition winner
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri