Creative, tireless and resourceful litigator
Patrick Nolan is an experienced litigator and trial lawyer who has represented companies and individuals throughout the United States and Canada. Advising clients on all phases of the litigation process, from initial claim and fact investigation to civil discovery, trial and appeal, Patrick focuses on litigation claims involving:
- Product liability, including personal injury, premises liability and toxic tort matters
- Insurance coverage
- Indemnity agreements
- UCC Article 2 sales and warranty claims
- Professional liability
Patrick provides strategic recommendations to his clients in the early stages of a claim, delivering and implementing a broad strategy for resolving a matter in keeping with their legal and business objectives. His clients know him to be an aggressive advocate for their interests, working with experts in a variety of disciplines to make thoughtful and persuasive arguments before judges and juries.
Experience in Action
- Defending product manufacturers against catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death claims, including manufacturers of farm, aerial lift, crane, construction and aviation components and equipment, dental products and pharmaceuticals.
- Advising clients on product recalls and related regulatory questions that may arise before the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other regulatory agencies.
- Litigating insurance coverage issues arising from general liability, directors and officers, errors and omissions, employment practices and property-casualty insurance policies.
- Resolved personal injury and product liability claims and related indemnification issues for a large national brewer.
- Defended pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, including obtaining summary judgment in favor of a drug manufacturer on a claim that its biologic pharmaceutical caused plaintiff's multiple sclerosis and other permanent ailments.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer on a claim that its oximetry probe failed to detect low blood oxygen levels, causing patient serious hypoxic injuries.
- Obtained summary judgment and affirmance on appeal for a dental amalgam manufacturer on claims that its amalgams caused mercury poisoning.
- Represented a large chemical manufacturer in complex toxic tort and environmental claims throughout the nation.
- Obtained substantial insurance recoveries, including both indemnity and defense costs for clients under directors and officers (D&O), employment practices liability (EPL), media liability and other claims made and professional liability policies.
- Obtained significant multi-million-dollar insurance recoveries for clients facing environmental contamination, asbestos and other long tail exposure claims.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2020-present: Product Liability Litigation - Defendants)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Editions 2007–2011 (Personal Injury Defense: Products)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
Professional & Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member, Tort Trial Insurance Practice Section)
- Civil Trial Counsel of Wisconsin (Member)
- Defense Research Institute (Member)
- Trial Attorneys of America (Member)
News & Insights
- 2017-2022ArticleProduct Liability Desk Reference, A Fifty-State Compendium: State of Wisconsin Chapter
- News Release
- News Release
- News Release
- Presentation2019 Insurance Coverage Case Law Year in ReviewJoint meeting of the Wisconsin Chapter of RIMS, the Risk Management Society, and the Greater Milwaukee CPCU Chapter
- News Release
- Presentation"Understanding and Avoiding Pitfalls with First Party Property Casualty Claims"State Bar of Wisconsin
- Presentation"Wisconsin Insurance Law Year in Review – 2016"State Bar of Wisconsin
- Pro Bono
- PresentationThe Duty to Defend from the Policyholder’s PerspectiveWisconsin Defense Counsel Conference (Spring Conference in Kohler, WI)
- PresentationThe Duty to Defend from the Policyholder's PerspectiveWisconsin Defense Counsel Conference (Spring Conference in Kohler, WI)
- Media Mention
- Presentation"2014 Wisconsin Insurance Law Update"Wisconsin Chapter of RIMS, The Risk Management Society™
- Presentation"An Update on Wisconsin Insurance Law and a Look Ahead"The Greater Milwaukee Chapter - CPCU Society 48th Annual All-Industry Luncheon
- PresentationLegal Considerations for Product SafetySafety Solutions and Training Expo, Wausau, Wisconsin
- ArticleClaims-Made Policies May Cover Claims Submitted Outside the Reporting PeriodFC&S Legal
- PresentationWisconsin Insurance Coverage Law: Recent Trends and Developments in 2013Joint meeting of Wisconsin Chapter of Risk and Insurance Management Society and Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (CPCU) Society
- News Release
- PresentationProduct Liability for Alcohol Beverages: The Legal Landscape Before, During and After Cook v. MillerCoors LLCMillerCoors (now Molson Coors Beverage Company)
- PresentationWisconsin Insurance Coverage Law: Recent Trends and DevelopmentsJoint meeting of Wisconsin Chapter of Risk and Insurance Management Society and Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (CPCU) Society
- PresentationReservation of Rights Letters and Defense Handling After MaxwellWisconsin State Bar, On Demand CLE Webinar
- PresentationInsurance Policy Basics: Understanding Different Types of PoliciesWisconsin State Bar, On Demand CLE Webinar
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 1997)
- Managing Editor, Marquette Law Review, 1996–1997
- Boston College (B.S., 1993)
- Honors Economics Program
- London School of Economics & Political Science (General Course, 1992)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Northern Mariana Islands, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 2016
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2021
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 2022