Patent and IP counsel backed by engineering experience
Rob Mihalko assists his clients with patent prosecution, intellectual property (IP) portfolio management, contract drafting and negotiation, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), licensing and litigation support. He also advises them on IP strategy and prepares offensive and defensive product and patent analyses, including pre-litigation settlement negotiations.
Rob leverages his extensive technical and legal experience to provide the best outcomes for his clients. He is unafraid of mastering the difficult details, and his significant experience as in-house counsel for a former Fortune 500 company lends him insight into his clients’ perspectives and motivations.
In past roles, Rob gained direct experience in the electronics, computer and software sectors, with particular focus on image sensors, LiDAR, radar, autofocus/image stabilization, touch sense, battery management, motor control, and semiconductor manufacturing and packaging. Before beginning his law career, he worked in design and test engineering at a leading microprocessor manufacturer in the areas of microprocessor design, flash memory and graphics processing.
Experience in Action
- Prepares and prosecutes patent applications worldwide. Clients turn to Rob as they seek to protect their electronic-related inventions.
- Develops competitive IP portfolios. In particular, Rob helps manage and grow patent portfolios relevant to each client’s needs.
- Supports IP licensing activities. Rob has drafted and negotiated IP licenses in a variety of technical fields, such as for clients in the electronics and pharmaceutical industries.
- Protects clients’ intellectual property. In particular, Rob helps analyze infringement of clients’ IP and prepares strategies for responding to such threats.
News & Insights
- Arizona State University College of Law (J.D., 2011)
- Jurimetrics, Editor for ABA's Science & Technology Law Journal
- University of Illinois-Urbana (M.S., highest honors, 2003)
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- University of Illinois-Urbana (B.S., highest honors, 2001)
- Major: Computer Engineering
- United States Patent and Trademark Office