Litigation guidance for complex commercial disputes
Ryan Rainey maintains a general, multi-sectoral litigation practice. He crafts litigation strategies for a broad range of business disputes, including complex breach of contract disputes, commercial landlord-tenant matters and civil litigation related to food and drug trademarks. He also has advised clients on federal and state consumer protection and insurance regulations.
Before law school, Ryan worked for several years as a Washington, D.C.-based journalist covering financial regulation and international trade. As a law student, he worked as a summer fellow for the Wisconsin Department of Justice’s consumer production unit. He is active in the firm’s pro bono efforts, assisting with litigation issues facing nonprofits and individuals throughout Wisconsin.
Experience in Action
- Defends a diverse selection of companies facing complex matters in state and federal courts. Ryan helps defend established companies facing commercial litigation across a wide range of sectors, including the renewable energy, non-alcohol beverage, wholesale pharmaceutical distribution and auto parts industries.
- Develops creative strategies in alternative dispute resolution. Ryan has successfully negotiated settlements through mediation in cases with varying monetary values, and he often is involved in complex, challenging arbitrations.
- Leverages past professional experience into practice. Ryan draws on the investigative skills he learned as a reporter to advise his clients on the important, difficult factual issues that arise throughout litigation.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Election Protection, volunteer, 2020
- Asylum Law Project, volunteer, 2019
News & Insights
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2021)
- Minnesota Journal of International Law, Lead Articles editor
- Dean’s List
- Represented noncitizens seeking asylum as a student attorney for the University of Minnesota's Immigration and Human Rights Clinic.
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., 2013)
- Majors: Journalism, Latin American Studies
- Iron Shield Society, 2012-2013
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin