Data privacy and technology counsel
Shaniya Johnson focuses on a variety of information technology transactions and data privacy and security compliance matters. She also has experience working on commercial transactions, including drafting and negotiating strategic partnership agreements, MOUs, MSAs, SOWs and NDAs.
Prior to joining the firm, Shaniya served as associate counsel, privacy and compliance, and as a cyber data privacy consultant, where she focused on data privacy matters relating to technology, media and telecommunications companies.
Admitted in New Jersey and Washington D.C.
Experience in Action
- Develops organization wide privacy programs and procedures, including the creation of data retention, data destruction, privacy notices, and mobile and web-based privacy policies.
- Implements privacy by design processes throughout organizations.
- Conducts legal research, analysis and consultation on relevant consumer data privacy laws (e.g., CCPA, CPRA, GDPR, COPPA and NIST).
- Assists with issues posed by the various data privacy and security laws governing the protection of personal data.
- Advises on appropriate data uses, disclosures and transfer mechanisms.
- Maintains and updates processes for records of processing activities, including relevant questionnaires.
- Negotiates technology-related agreements such as licensing and data sharing agreements.
Professional & Civic Activities
- LGBT Bar Association of New York, member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, member
- St. John's University School of Law (J.D., 2020)
- St. John’s Law Magazine: Special Report “Who’s Minding Our Data?”, columnist
- Deans Award for Excellence: Advanced Analytical Skills, recipient
- NYLS Intellectual Property Negotiation Competition, finalist
- PLI – Communications Law in the Digital Age 2018: scholarship recipient
- Frostburg State University (B.S., cum laude, 2017)
- Sloop Institute for Excellence in Leadership: fellow
- Joseph M. Ellis Memorial Scholarship for Volunteerism: recipient
- New Jersey