Responsive, practical, experienced corporate finance and M&A attorney
Steve Tight is a strategic transactional attorney who guides his clients through complex M&A transactions, equity financings, and strategic and venture capital investments, drawing on over two decades of experience as both a law firm partner and corporate general counsel. He represents a wide range of clients, including public and private companies, private equity firms and venture capital funds across many industries, with a particular focus in health care, life sciences, medical devices and biotechnology. His experience includes:
- Structuring and negotiating the acquisition of both dental practice groups and physician practice groups (representing both acquirers and the selling physician and dental practice group owners), with the experience and knowledge to ensure compliance with corporate practice of dentistry (CPOD) and corporate practice of medicine (CPOM) regulations throughout the U.S.
- Leading teams of transactional lawyers and dedicated subject matter experts in closing numerous middle-market mergers and acquisitions (domestic and international) ranging in enterprise value from $5 million to more than $1 billion.
- Advising on, and helping clients evaluate, the practical implications and legal risks of deal terms and assisting clients with the closing and post-closing implications of transformative corporate transactions.
Previously, Steve was a member of the office of the general counsel (corporate development: securities, transactions and international) at a Midwest-based health care, insurance and technology company, where he assisted in the deployment of tens of billions of dollars in capital in M&A transactions and venture capital investments.
Experience in Action
- Represents private equity and venture capital funds (and their portfolio companies), as well as other financial buyers and investors, in platform and add-on acquisitions, investments, divestitures, recapitalizations and other transactions.
- Advises life sciences, medical device, biotechnology and health care companies in the execution of M&A, financing, joint venture, licensing and commercial transactions and provides advice as outside general counsel, generally, to clients in these fields.
- Utilizes his experience as a corporate general counsel for health care and life sciences companies to allow him to better understand his clients’ goals and unique challenges and to help them achieve successful outcomes, both from a legal perspective and a business perspective.
- Represented a strategic, private equity backed acquirer in the transformative acquisition of a competitor with significant international operations (and accompanying legal intricacies) that materially increased the size and international reach of the client’s business.
- Represented a large, national health care company in the roll-up of physician practice groups across the country in furtherance of its global care-delivery platform strategy.
- Represented a number of selling physicians and dentists in the acquisition of their practices by national care delivery organizations and dental service organizations.
- Represented a private equity owned portfolio company in a series of growth-focused tuck-in acquisitions in the specialty, rigid-packaging solutions space.
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, member
- Business Law Section Minnesota State Bar Association, member
- Hennepin & Ramsey County Bar Association, member
- Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon: Past Chair - Rules and Officiating Committee of the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Board of Directors
- American Heart and Stroke Association - Heart Stroke Gala, executive leadership team (2012-2014)
- Minneapolis Golf Club, Board of Directors & Executive Committee Member (2015-2017)
News & Insights
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1997)
- St. Olaf College (B.A., 1993)
- English Literature and Economics