Quick-study, agile patent and trademark counsel
Tom Bratschun advises clients on intellectual property (IP) portfolio development, management and licensing. Advising companies of all sizes as well as individuals, his patent prosecution practice focuses on civil and environmental engineering, photonics, computer software, medical devices and design patents. Tom also counsels clients in the selection, clearance and registration of trademarks throughout the world, with a focus on:
- Medical devices
- Real estate developments
- Sporting goods
- Consumer products
Tom is a quick study and has mastered a host of technical fields. His ability to analyze and explain complex technical and legal issues inspires clients’ trust and confidence.
Tom was a co-founder of Adsero IP, which combined with Quarles in 2023.
Experience in Action
- Advising on U.S. and foreign patent portfolio development, licensing and counseling.
- Counseling clients on trademark portfolio management, including selection, clearance and registration of trademarks throughout the world in portfolios ranging in size from a few to hundreds of registrations.
- Representing clients in administrative proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Advising on patent, trademark and licensing disputes.
- Serving as an expert witness on patent procedure.
- Developed patent portfolios that contributed to over $100 million of investments in the fields of photonics, medical products and sporting goods.
- Successfully recaptured the distinctiveness of a client’s financial services trademark through use of cease-and-desist letters, oppositions and litigation.
- Developed a portfolio of design patents in the U.S., Asia, Europe and the Americas to underpin a client’s anti-counterfeiting strategy in the sporting goods industry.
- Counselled U.S. and foreign clients looking to enter the U.S. market on freedom-to-operate and design around of problem patents.
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
News & Insights
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of Colorado (B.S., special honors)
- Civil Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court