Helping franchise companies achieve business goals through strategic day-to-day counsel
Tim Brinkley works on transactional and regulatory matters for franchise companies. He provides day-to-day legal counsel to franchise companies and initial advice to companies that want to franchise their business concept. Tim counsels on a variety of matters, including:
- Drafting and updating franchise disclosure documents and handling other aspects of federal and state regulatory compliance with respect to franchising.
- Negotiating and preparing complex franchise transactional documents, including master franchise agreements, area development agreements, asset purchase agreements for the refranchising of company stores or buy-back of franchised locations, assistance and workout agreements with struggling franchisees, and inter-creditor agreements with national and regional banks.
- Assisting with complex sales, mergers and acquisitions of franchise companies, including sales to private equity.
- Providing legal strategies to increase development and renovation of franchise outlets.
- Advising on real estate matters connected to franchising.
Prior to joining Quarles, Tim worked in-house at three multinational fast food restaurant franchises and as a commercial real estate lawyer at a national firm. Tim’s high-level experience working in-house enables him to provide informed counsel to his clients that is guided by an understanding of what they need to achieve their goals.
Experience in Action
- Counsels clients on addressing non-compliance by franchisees.
- Advises on difficult real estate issues in connection with franchised and company-owned locations.
- Prepared U.S. franchise disclosure document for foreign-based franchisor and nationwide registration in all registration states.
- Represented a private equity fund in acquisition of an existing franchise system, including matters regarding franchise diligence and regulatory compliance.
- Best Lawyers in America®, (2020: Franchise Law)
News & Insights
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., 1996)
- Southern Illinois University (M.A., 1996)
- Western Illinois University (B.A., 1990)