Praveena Nallainathan specializes in corporate immigration, nationality, and consular law. She has extensive experience representing clients in a range of industries, including financial services, technology, data sciences, energy, oil and gas, healthcare, fashion and media.
Praveena advises employers and their employees on all facets of U.S. immigration law. Drawing on her combination of experience as both outside counsel and in-house counsel for multinational companies, she helps employers build and implement immigration and mobility solutions that are strategic, cost effective, and talent centered.
Praveena is particularly attuned to aligning immigration programs to recruiting and internal mobility strategies so clients can create rich, diverse global workforces. She helps develop global mobility solutions for employees moving to countries, such as Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, India, and Singapore.
Praveena’s range of experience includes:
- Employment and investor non-immigrant visa petitions (H1, L1, E1/E2, E3, O1)
- Permanent residency strategies and applications (Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Researcher, Multinational Executive/Manager and PERM Labor Certification)
- Corporate training programs for H-3 and J-1 participants
- Worksite compliance matters, including E-Verify and I-9 employment verification rules
- Immigration implications of changing corporate structures, including mergers & acquisitions, divestitures, and internal corporate reorganizations
- Program and policy development and best practices for immigration compliance
- HR, manager, and employee training and townhalls
- Benchmarking and reporting
Praveena is also passionate about pro bono. She regularly represents children in asylum and Special Immigrant Juvenile applications for Kids in Need of Defense. She has assisted displaced Afghans with humanitarian parole applications and served as a technical lead for the Iraq Human Rights Project.
Prior to joining the firm, Praveena served as Global Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) for a large Amlaw 100 firm and was Associate General Counsel focused on immigration law for a large international information services company.
Admitted in New York.
- Labor & Employment
- Banking & Financial Institutions
Education and Honors
- Rutgers University (J.D.)
- Eagleton Government Fellow, Rutgers Eagleton Institute of Politics
- Columbia University (M.S.W.)
- Cornell University (B.A.)
- Majors: Government & Spanish
- Cornell National Scholar
- New York
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, member
- KIND Pro Bono Attorney
- Advisory Board, Columbia Social Work Action Lab for Social Justice
- Co-chair, American Immigration Lawyers Association Conference in New York City
- New York Legal Assistance Group Associate Board
- Teach for America and AmeriCorps Volunteer
- Chambers USA®, Immigration, Associate to Watch 2016
- The Legal 500, United States, U.S. Immigration 2015, 2016
- New Jersey Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, Immigration, 2014-2016
- NYC's Rookie of the Year Award, presented by Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, 2001
- English (native)
- Spanish (proficient)
- Tamil (basic)