News & Resources

Publications & Media

Oklahoma Will Require Nonresident Pharmacy to Have an Oklahoma-Licensed Pharmacist-in-Charge

Pharma Law Alert Susan B. Trujillo, Roger N. Morris

Effective November 1, 2015, Oklahoma will join a growing list of states that require nonresident pharmacies to have a pharmacist licensed by that nonresident state as the pharmacist-in-charge for that permit (SB 787). The good news is that Oklahoma accepts reciprocity of an original pharmacist license from all states that accept reciprocal licenses from Oklahoma, and all states except California are on that list.

While you are reviewing your pharmacists' licenses to see who you can identify to serve in this role, take a look at your policies and procedures. The same bill requires you to have a written drug diversion and prevention policy. The bill also makes some general changes to bring it in compliance with the federal Drug Quality and Security Act and creates an outsourcing facility permit. Along the lines of the requirement above, the outsourcing facility must also have a pharmacist-in-charge who holds an Oklahoma license.

Please reach out to Susan Brichler Trujillo at (602) 229-5318/[email protected] or Roger Morris at (602) 229-5269/[email protected] with any questions.

Payment Portal

You are leaving the Quarles & Brady website and being directed to the bill presentment and paying service offered by a third party provider. If you do not wish to continue to the site, click Close or use the Back button on your web browser to return the Quarles & Brady website.