Rasha Elganzouri Gad is a Partner in the firm's Real Estate Group. Her practice covers a wide range of complex commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, financing, construction, joint venture formation, development, leasing, hotel acquisition, development and management, structuring of entities for investment, and cross border commercial transactions. She has over twenty years of experience working for top-tier international law firms based in the United States, Dubai, UAE, and Cairo, Egypt.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Rasha has advised clients on the impact of relevant provisions related to "Force Majeure" or "Unavoidable Delays" in construction contracts, leases, and loan documents; guidance on commercial landlord responses to tenants and borrowers negatively impacted by COVID-19 requesting rent relief or debt service relief; and guidance on how to close a real estate deal during a government shutdown.
Rasha regularly represents clients in a variety of practice areas including office, retail, hotel, shopping center, health care, industrial, data centers, multifamily, and mixed-use projects across the country. Her clients include private REITS, pension fund advisors, private and institutional investors, and real estate developers and owners.
Rasha’s experience includes:
- Acquisition of two property portfolio of independent and assisted living facilities located in Austin, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico for over $62,000,000 on behalf of a joint venture between a major institutional investor and senior living operator. Representation included negotiation of purchase and sale agreement, joint venture agreement, and management agreement.
- Sale of 11 property portfolio of independent and senior living facilities located in Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Washington, DC for over $630,000,000 on behalf of a joint venture between a major institutional investor and senior living operator.
- Acquisition, financing, and formation of joint venture for construction of two senior housing facilities located in South Florida on behalf of institutional investor and senior living operator. Total project budget in excess of 180,000,000. Representation included negotiation of joint venture agreement, development services agreement, management agreement, construction documents, and financing.
- Redevelopment of mixed-use theater/hotel property in Chicago, Illinois including drafting and negotiation of hotel management agreement, finance documents, and joint venture agreement.
- Acquisition and financing of hotels in Chicago, Illinois and Miami, Florida on behalf of a major hotel owner/developer. Representation included negotiation of purchase and sale agreement and acquisition financing.
- Acquisition and financing of Hotel 71 in Chicago, Illinois on behalf of a hotel owner/developer. Representation included advice in relation to structuring of hotel condominium.
- Acquisition and financing of Ambassador East Hotel in Chicago, Illinois on behalf of a hotel owner. Representation included negotiation of purchase and sale agreement, management agreement, and acquisition financing.
- Negotiation of hotel management agreement for Four Seasons Resort Great Exuma, Bahamas on behalf of a hotel owner.
- Negotiation of hotel management and ancillary agreements on behalf of Qatar National Bank for Hard Rock Hotel in Doha, Qatar.
- Represented BBCN Bank with $20,000,000 loan facility in connection with acquisition of 14 “Motel 6” properties across five states.
- Represented institutional lenders with financing hotel acquisitions, including negotiation of three party comfort letters for international brands such as Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and Dream/Windham.
- Representation of hotel owner in Sharm Sheikh, Egypt in connection with negotiation of hotel management agreement.
Rasha is a relationship-driven attorney and trusted adviser to her clients. She understands her client’s needs and can effectively provide quality business and strategic advice for them. Rasha's clients turn to her for her critical thinking, experienced judgment, and trusted advice. She is trilingual and has vast experience in multicultural environments, which has enabled Rasha to provide creative and practical advice for her clients. She is constantly adapting to meet her client's needs, is a strong advocate for diversity and inclusion, and is passionate about providing top notch legal advice. Rasha is also the founder of the “Emerging Trends” Webinar Series, which is a webinar series on key trends that impact legal and industry professionals in real estate, finance, health services, and other emerging practice areas.
- Real Estate
- Health & Life Sciences
- International Services
Education and Honors
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1997)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (M.B.A., with honors, 1997)
- Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame (B.A., magna cum laude, 1993)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association (Board Member)
- American Chamber of Commerce Egypt (Member)
- Commercial Real Estate Executive Women (CREW) of Chicago
- Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA)