Rodney Ott serves as Of Counsel in the firm's Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group and Appellate Practice Group. He focuses his practice in the areas of general business, commercial litigation, appeals, real property disputes, including condemnation and valuation issues, public utility law, product liability, and commercial torts.
He represents developers and utilities in public utility commission matters, including cases involving the issuance and modifications of certificates of convenience and necessity.
He has been involved in a number of jury trials and appeals concerning eminent domain, contract and lease disputes, valuation of real estate, and governmental takings of undeveloped and improved land. His practice includes appearing before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Arizona Supreme Court and Court of Appeals, Divisions One and Two, and the Arizona Corporation Commission.
Rod partners with his clients in complex litigation and arbitration matters to provide practical solutions. He is detail oriented and responsive, handling disputes from the pre-litigation phase through appeal.
- Represented a water utility and other well owners in federal litigation brought by an Indian tribe concerning water rights and the tribe's attempt to prohibit any further pumping of groundwater, resulting in a favorable judgment from the federal court dismissing the tribe's claims.
- Representation of a water utility in multi-year arbitration, including twelve depositions and a five day arbitration hearing, in claims against an engineering company regarding the design of water treatment facilities, resulting in a multi-million dollar settlement in favor of the water utility.
- Representation of an electric utility in multi-year breach of contract litigation brought by a solar developer, resulting in a highly favorable settlement for the client.
- Representation of water utilities in numerous matters before the Arizona Corporation Commission.
- Representation of landowners in numerous condemnation actions brought by ADOT and other condemning authorities.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
Education and Honors
- Fordham University (J.D., cum laude, 1991)
- Fordham Law Review (Associate Editor)
- Johns Hopkins University (M.A., 1984)
- Columbia University (M.A., 1979)
- University of Michigan (B.A., with high distinction, 1977)
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Arizona, Jury Instructions Committee (Member)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- Scottsdale International Film Festival (Served on Board of Directors and volunteer preparation of grant applications)
- Served on Board of Directors, Warner Ranch Phase 3 Association
- Named a Top 50 Pro Bono Attorney in Arizona by the Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education (2015)