Rowan Smith practices nationally in several areas of technology and intellectual property law, including patent prosecution, copyright and trademark registration, licensing, and technology-related transactions.
Rowan has drafted and prosecuted patent applications in many technology areas, including in the field of semiconductors, such as semiconductor assembly, test, and packaging, semiconductor fabrication techniques, power transistor devices, and power supply regulator circuits. He also has considerable experience in information technology, having drafted and prosecuted patent applications relating to eCommerce systems, data security technologies, and various network communications systems, among others. He also provides patent and technology counseling on litigation and licensing matters.
Additionally, Rowan assists clients in non-patent matters, including the registration and protection of copyrights, the filing and prosecution of trademark applications, and the protection of trade secrets.
Areas of technology where Rowan has drafted and prosecuted patent applications include:
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Patent Prosecution
- Research Institutions
- Technology Transfer
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University (J.D., magna cum laude, 2007)
- Pedrick Scholar (2007)
- Arizona State University (B.S., 2002)
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2010
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
- Center for Law, Science and Technology at Arizona State University (Research Fellow)
- Named a 2017 BTI Consulting Group “Client Service All-Star"
- Selected for inclusion in the Southwest Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars 2013 Edition (Intellectual Property)