As a member of the firm's Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Practice Group, Sherina Maye Edwards focuses her practice on electric reliability, water, natural gas and critical infrastructure issues. An energy professional with solid regulatory experience which includes analyzing, formulating, and implementing public policy at the state level, she brings a wealth of knowledge on issues affecting the energy and public utility industry including grid modernization, natural gas infrastructure, cybersecurity, reliability and supplier and workforce diversity.
Prior to joining the firm, Edwards served a five year term on the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC), making her the youngest commissioner ever appointed in the state of Illinois. While she served as commissioner, she was involved with the National Association for Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC), serving as the Chair of the Subcommittee on Pipeline Safety as well as Chair of the Subcommittee on Supplier and Workforce Diversity and as a member of the Committee on Gas, with previous service on the Water Committee.
In 2016, Edwards was appointed by President Barack Obama and U.S. Secretary of Transportation, Anthony Foxx as Co-Chair of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Voluntary Information-Sharing System Working Group, which was created in accordance with the Pipelines Hazardous and Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) guidelines, where she provided recommendations to the Secretary of Transportation on information-sharing matters and best practices for the protection of proprietary and security-sensitive information.
Having founded both the Women’s Energy Summit and the Women’s Energy Network of Chicago as well as having strong influence over the creation of the Illinois Utilities Business Diversity Council and the ICC’s Office of Diversity and Community Affairs, Edwards is nationally recognized for being a champion for diversity and inclusion within the utility and energy space.
Edwards was recently selected as a 2017 Eisenhower Fellow, where she served as an ambassador for the United States in South Africa and Australia, met with leading experts in the energy industry, and learned more about the shift to renewable energy. In additional to several civic boards, Edwards sits on the Board of Directors for Intren, LLC, a national construction company that primarily services the electric and gas industries.
Education and Honors
- Howard University School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Merit Scholar
- Spelman College (B.A., cum laude, 2005)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Intren, LLC (Board of Directors)
- Women's Energy Network Chicago (Founding Member and Immediate Past President)
- Women’s Energy Summit, Inc. (Founder and Chairperson)
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (Member, National Executive Board)
- Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana (Member, Board of Directors and 3rd Vice President)
- Lake Shore Chapter of the Links, Inc. (Member)
- Leadership Greater Chicago Fellows Class of 2015 (Member)
- American Association of Blacks in Energy (AABE) (Member)
- National Utilities Diversity Council (Member)
- Black Women’s Lawyers Association (Member)
- Eisenhower Fellow (2017)