Susan McCaffery Zoeller has been an advocate for businesses and entrepreneurs throughout the country for 20 years. Susan, who focuses her practice on employment litigation and counseling, has been recognized in the Best Lawyers in America and Indiana Super Lawyers®. In addition, the Indianapolis Business Journal and the Indiana Lawyer named Susan as one of the top 20 Women to Watch, an award honoring successful women who are active civic and business role models in Indianapolis.
Susan is an experienced employment lawyer who partners with her clients to develop practical solutions that mitigate legal risks and achieve business goals. She collaborates with clients from a range of industries, including retail, communications, manufacturing, and hospitality/restaurants. She regularly represents and counsels businesses with respect to matters involving trade secrets and unfair competition; federal and state wage and hour laws; wage/hour investigations and audits; employment discrimination and harassment laws; state and federal leave of absence laws; workplace investigations; non-competition, non-solicitation and other restrictive covenants; whistleblower issues; and reductions in force.
Susan is an experienced trial lawyer. She has successfully litigated numerous disputes on behalf of employers involving a wide variety of employment laws before federal and state courts, administrative agencies, and other tribunals throughout the country. She has also represented clients in complex litigation, including class and collective actions, and in actions brought by and before federal agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Department of Labor (DOL). Susan is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution proceedings, such as arbitration, mediation, and conciliation.
Susan is an active member of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association and the National Association of Women Lawyers. She is also the past president of the Indianapolis Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. She writes and lectures on a variety of employment law topics throughout the country.
Susan received a B.A., summa cum laude, from Ball State University. Susan received her J.D., magna cum laude, from Indiana University School of Law–Bloomington, where she served on the Indiana Law Journal, and was elected to the Order of the Coif and the Order of the Barristers. She was also selected for the National Moot Court Team.
- Labor & Employment
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Trade Secrets
- Health & Life Sciences
Education and Honors
- Indiana University – Bloomington (J.D., magna cum laude, 1995)
- Ball State University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1992)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Employment Rights and Responsibilities and Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committees (Member, Presenter)
- National Association of Women Lawyers (Member)
- Federal Bar Association (Member, Past President of Indianapolis Chapter)
- Indianapolis Bar Association - Women in the Law Division (Former Member of Executive Committee)
- United Way of Central Indiana Executive Women’s Leadership Program
- Listed as an Indiana Super Lawyer® – Employment & Labor; Employment Litigation: Defense (2013 – present)
- Listed by Indianapolis Business Journal and Indiana Lawyer as one of the top 20 Women to Watch