A patent attorney in the Intellectual Property Group, Ted works with sole inventors, start-up entities, emerging businesses and global Fortune 500 companies in protecting and leveraging their innovations for commercial advantage. Ted’s ability for framing intellectual property questions into practical business terms for decisions-makers is a real value-add for his clients. His strategic counsel enables clients to create cost-effective and meaningful intellectual property portfolios with tangible commercial value.
Ted’s work includes:
- Strategic counsel - Advising decision-makers in the protection of key business innovations and the development of meaningful intellectual property portfolios
- Patent counsel - Management of complex global patent portfolios; preparation/prosecution of patents in the U.S. and worldwide
- Agreement work - Drafting and negotiating intellectual property license agreements
- Opinion work - Preparing patentability, freedom-to-operate and patent noninfringement opinions
- Trademarks - Providing trademark counsel to emerging businesses
Ted has drafted hundreds of patent applications and is well-versed in myriad technologies, including:
- Chemical arts plastics/elastomers (polyolefins), adhesives, polyurethanes, wire and cable coating materials, automotive plastics/rubber, adhesives, polymerization production processes, organic light emitting diode compositions
- Sustainable technologies solid-state hydrogen fuel, purified silicon, algae production, anaerobic digestion, biosolid remediation, desalination, solar thermal, water purification
- eCommerce systems and Smartphone applications
- Organic light emitting diodes and Semiconductor structures
- Nano-/micro-layer film technology
- Food science—food packaging and packaging adhesives, food products (confectionery, chewing gum and snack foods; food processing)
- Medical products (medical devices, medical fluid delivery systems, pharmaceutical formulations)
- Mechanical arts—consumer goods, clothing articles
Ted regularly lectures MBA students at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee on intellectual property topics.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Ted worked in industry as a production and research chemist at a leading global chemical, life science and biotechnology company.
He is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, where he was a space operations officer with responsibilities for satellite launch, command and control and served as mission controller for the successful launch of Milstar Flight 2, a billion-dollar military communications satellite.
Ted began his military service touring as a jazz saxophonist/flutist with the U.S. Air Force Band.
Education and Honors
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D.)
- Lead Articles Editor, DePaul Journal of Art and Entertainment Law
- Carroll College (B.A.)
- Majors: Chemistry, German, Political Science
- Universität Freiburg Germany
- Junior Year Abroad Program
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Intellectual Property Association (Member)
- Mid-West Energy Research Consortium (Member)
- Jackson Park Jazz Orchestra, Saxophonist
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2021, Patent Law)