Teresa Como is a senior paralegal providing substantive assistance and support in the areas of Employee Benefits, Affirmative Action and Litigation. Examples of her work include:
- Preparing all aspects of determination letter request filings for initial plans, amended plans and terminated plans; including follow-up on issues raised by IRS agents.
- Writing Summary Plan Descriptions and Summaries of Material Modifications.
- Preparing Voluntary Compliance Program Applications.
- Keeping attorneys informed of current deadlines and filing procedures for qualified plan amendments.
- Assisting clients with review and/or preparation of Form 5500.
- Reviewing Qualified Domestic Relations Orders.
- Assisting with a variety of plans, including governmental and church plans.
- Working with and preparing clients’ affirmative action plans for women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Assisting clients during audits by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP).
- Assisting in litigation matters by compiling and preparing trial exhibits; assembling witness files in preparation for direct- and cross-examinations; creating demonstrative exhibits, including timelines.
- Reviewing client’s and opposition’s documents for information to create chronology of relevant events.
- Preparing documents for production to opposition and responses to discovery requests.
- Compiling documents for use in preparing witnesses for their depositions.
- Reviewing electronically stored information in software tools and analyzing the information for various purposes, including identifying attorney-client privileged communication.
- Preparing reports relating to fact gathering and background research.
- Working with computer database software, including Excel.
Education and Honors
- Lawrence University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1984)
- Degrees: Psychology and Neuroscience
Professional and Civic Activities
- Girl Scout Leader and Volunteer for Girl Scouts - Great Blue Heron Council, Inc., 1998 to 2007