Thomas McDonell is an attorney in the firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. Tom’s practice focuses on a wide variety of complex commercial litigation matters, including breach of contract disputes, real estate and construction litigation, financial institutions litigation, and post-judgment enforcement. He routinely appears in both state and federal courts, and has successfully represented several clients on appeal before the Illinois Court of Appeals.
Tom specializes in real estate litigation, where his experience includes representing clients in commercial landlord-tenant disputes and mechanic’s lien actions, defending against constructive eviction claims, and advising clients on City of Chicago building code violations. He also has extensive experience defending clients against various state and federal consumer protection claims, including claims arising under the Fair Debt Collection Practices, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, and the Truth in Lending Act. Additionally, Tom represents and counsels clients in the automotive industry, where he has litigated dealer and franchise disputes on behalf of automotive manufacturers.
Tom is also active in pro bono work, and serves as Quarles and Brady’s National Coordinator for the Veterans Pro Bono Program.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Securities Litigation and Enforcement
- Automotive Industry
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Real Estate and Construction Litigation
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
- Wisconsin Law Review, Articles Editor
- Boston College (B.A., cum laude, 2011)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional and Civic Activities
- Misericordia Heart of Mercy Home (Volunteer)