Tim Brinkley is an experienced franchise attorney in the firm's Business Law Practice Group. He provides day-to-day legal counsel to existing franchise companies, and also provides initial advice to companies that want to franchise their business concept. He has represented some of the most well-known franchise companies in North America.
Tim drafts and updates franchise disclosure documents and handles other aspects of federal and state regulatory compliance with respect to franchising; negotiates and prepares complex franchise transactional documents, including master franchise agreements, area development agreements, asset purchase agreements for the refranchising of company stores or buy-back of franchised locations, assistance and workout agreements with struggling franchisees, and inter-creditor agreements with national and regional banks; assists with complex mergers and acquisitions of franchise companies; advises on legal strategies to increase development and renovation of franchise outlets; and advises on real estate matters connected to franchising.
Prior to joining the firm, Tim worked in-house at Burger King Corporation and Tim Hortons USA, Inc. He also worked for several years as a commercial real estate lawyer at a national firm with one of the top real estate practices in the country. Tim brings these years of high-level experience to bear in the day-to-day counsel he provides his clients to help them achieve their goals.
In his free time, Tim likes to hang out with his wife and cat, listen to tech podcasts, and research new restaurants and travel destinations.
- Preparation of US Franchise Disclosure Document for foreign based franchisor, and nationwide registration in all registration states.
- Representation of private equity fund in acquisition of existing franchise system, including franchise diligence and regulatory compliance.
- Counseling clients on how to address non-compliance by franchisees.
- Counseling clients on difficult lease issues in connection with franchised and company-owned locations.
Education and Honors
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., 1996)
- Southern Illinois University (M.A., 1992)
- Western Illinois University (B.A., 1990)