Valerie Vidal is a partner in the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Group and a member of the firm’s Professional Liability and Financial Services Industry teams. A significant portion of Valerie's national litigation practice focuses on defending corporate clients in complex commercial disputes against warranty, breach of contract, misrepresentation, and equitable claims. Valerie regularly advises clients on e-discovery efficiencies and has managed numerous high-volume ESI collections and productions.
Valerie regularly represents financial institutions in matters regarding commercial loan enforcement. Her recent experience includes:
- Providing a variety of legal services to lenders and secured creditors with respect to the perfection and enforcement of their security rights.
- Negotiating and drafting workout documentation including forbearance and loan modification agreements, settlement agreements, and stipulated foreclosure documents.
- Obtaining court orders appointing receivers, assigning rents, and declaring real estate assets abandoned in order to protect clients' security interests and expedite the commercial foreclosure process.
Valerie also regularly defends financial institutions against consumer-based lender liability actions premised upon the Truth in Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act as well as other consumer protection statutes. In such cases, her practical approach to litigation focuses on identifying and solving her clients’ legal challenges through pre-suit negotiations, alternative dispute resolution procedures, or aggressive defense against the asserted claims.
Valerie's professional liability litigation experience includes defending a benefits consulting firm against a multi-million dollar actuarial malpractice case brought by a public employee pension fund that resulted in a favorable settlement after two weeks of jury trial in federal court.
Valerie has been recognized for her pro bono work as well as her community service. She regularly represents victims of domestic violence in the pursuit of injunctions against their abusers and served as the firm’s point person for a national pro bono project that assisted non-violent drug offenders draft petitions to appeal for reductions in their sentences. She successfully argued before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a pro bono client. She currently serves on the board of directors of a local non-profit organization that provides treatment to women struggling with addiction.
Valerie has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by the Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine and is a named member of the Wisconsin Pro Bono Honor Society.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Professional Liability
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2007)
- University of Wisconsin Moot Court Board (2005–2007)
- Ray & Ethel Brown Award for character, leadership, and service to the University of Wisconsin Law School (2006)
- Wisconsin International Law Journal (Note and Comment Editor, 2006–2007)
- University of Wisconsin Law School Latina/o Law Student Association (Vice President of Academic Affairs, 2005–2006)
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (B.A., 2003)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar), 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2007
Professional and Civic Activities
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2016 Fellow
- Meta House, Inc. (Board Member, 2014–2017)
- Centro Legal (Board Member, 2011–2017)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member; former Wisconsin Chair for Programs Committee)
- Wisconsin Hispanic Lawyers Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Hispanic Professionals of Greater Milwaukee (Member)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee, Inc. (Volunteer 2007-2016)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society (2013-present)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® "Rising Star" (2012-present)
- United Way of Greater Milwaukee, Philanthropic 5 Award (2012)
- Outstanding Pro Bono Participation from Legal Action of Wisconsin’s Volunteer Lawyers Project (2012)
- Named a “Match of the Year” by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee (2011)