In Memoriam: W. Stuart Parsons: 1941-2021
Quarles & Brady is deeply saddened to announce that retired partner Stuart Parsons passed away on January 10, 2021. To read more about Stuart's life, click here.
Stuart Parsons had 40 years of experience representing corporate clients in business litigation across the country. He specialized in securities and antitrust class actions. Mr. Parsons' industry experience included computer hardware and software, manufacturing (paper, automobile, motorcycle, chemical, plumbing, electrical), electric utilities, financial institutions and insurance. He served as mediator or arbitrator in ADR proceedings.
Representative litigation engagement (and venues) included:
- Strong Funds (E.D. Wis.), CIB Bancshares directors (C.D. IL), Wisconsin Energy Corporation (E.D. Wis.), Fan Fair Corporation (D. Va.), Barry Wright Corporation (an Applied Power subsidiary) (D. Mass.), CareNetwork, Inc. (E.D. Wis.) and Pace American Group (D. Ariz.). in federal securities class actions.
- The Wisconsin Commissioner of Insurance, supervising the defense of 200 directors and officers liability insurance claims for MGIC Indemnity Co. in liquidation (Hawaii, California, District of Columbia and elsewhere).
- Kohler Co. in federal securities litigation and dissenters' rights proceeding involving cash-out merger (E.D. Wis.).
- Harnischfeger Industries, Inc. in a tender offer for Giddings & Lewis (E.D. Wis.).
- M&I Marshall & Ilsley Bank in a $50 million suit brought by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation regarding the contribution of Wheeling-Pittsburgh Series B preferred stock to M&I's pension plan (E.D. Wis.).
- Smith Barney, Harris Upham and Prudential-Bache in federal securities litigation (E.D., W.D. Wis.).
- Officers and directors of Bucyrus-Erie Company in a securities fraud action relating to Jackson National Life Insurance Company's acquisition of an interest in Bucyrus (S.D.N.Y.).
- Kohler Co. in connection with its acquisition of Sterling Group (N.D. Ill.).
- Microsoft Corporation, Mitsui & Co. (USA), Toyota and Eastman Chemical Company in Wisconsin indirect purchaser antitrust cases.
- Encore Paper Company in Commercial Sanitary Paper Antitrust Litigation (MDL, N.D. Fla.); Schreiber Foods, Inc. in Citric Acid Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.); Nicolet Paper Company in Glassine & Greaseproof Paper Antitrust Litigation (E.D. Pa.).
- Defendants and plaintiffs in Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law cases, including Amoco Corporation, Commodore Business Machines, Inc., Satellite Receivers, Ltd., Ben & Jerry's Homemade, Inc., Morley-Murphy Company, Carboloy, Inc., Creditstone Equipment Limited, Elgin Sweeper Company, Eliminator Boats, MG Industries, Microdish Inc., Midwest Golf Car Company, Northern Telecom, G.M. Popkey Co., Inc., Snelling & Snelling, Inc., Warren Supply Company, Omega Engineering, Newport Electronics, Wisconsin Music Network, Inc. and Morris Material Handling.
- Firstar Corporation, First Interstate Bank, Norwest Bank and M&I Marshall & Ilsley Bank in lender liability cases (Wis.).
- Wisconsin Electric Power Company and other Wisconsin electric utilities suing Westinghouse Electric Corporation and the worldwide uranium producers (D.Va.).
- California toy manufacturer Kransco, Inc., $14 million bad faith judgement against a Great American insurance unit (San Francisco, Cal. Sup. Ct.).
- The Dalkon Shield Claimants Trust, DuPont, James River Corporation, A.O. Smith Corporation, Wilbur-Ellis Company, Andreas Stihl and Hermann Traub Maschinenfabrik in product liability cases.
- Harley-Davidson, Inc. in Tietsworth v. Harley-Davidson, Inc., a putative class action on behalf of 40,000 owners alleging fraudulent sale of motorcycles with defective cam bearings, dismissed by the Wisconsin Supreme Court under the economic loss doctrine.
- Hurd Millwork Company, Inc. in Barden v. Hurd Millwork Company, Inc., a putative class action alleging defective windows installed in residences.
- Milwaukee Public Schools, defending a class action alleging violations of the IDEA in special education.
Education and Honors
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1967)
- Harvard University (B.A., 1962)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1997
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1970
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1969
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1968
Professional and Civic Activities
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Quarles & Brady Management Committee (1987-1993)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (President, 1997-1999; Board of Governors, 1991-1999; Chairman, Rules & Practice Committee, 1985-1990)
- Local Rules and Practice for the Eastern District of Wisconsin (Member, Advisory Committee, 1985-1988)
- Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group (Member, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1991-1994)
- CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution (Panelist of Distinguished Neutrals)
- Harvard Club of Wisconsin (President, 1985-1988)
- Harvard Alumni Association (Elected Director, 2002-2005)
- Riveredge Nature Center (President, 1978-1980)
- Chancellor, Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee
- Listed in The Best Lawyers In America® (1983-2008: Commercial Litigation)
- Listed in Wisconsin Leaders In The Law (2003)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2008 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® Top 50 lists (Business Litigation)
- Listed in Chambers USA (2003-2008: Litigation - General Commercial)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Author, "Civil Procedure," Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law, 1984-1990
- Editor; "Federal Civil Practice Abstracts;" Advocates Research, Inc.; Columbus, Ohio; 1986-1987
- "Decision Analysis: Settling Business Disputes Without Costly Litigation," American Bar Association program, 1990
- "Failure to Lend Under a Credit Facility," National Business Institute program, 1989
- "Lender Liability in Wisconsin (Theories of Lender Liability, Loan Commitments and Loan Documentation, Failure to Lend Under a Credit Facility)," National Business Institute Advanced Training program, 1988
- "Suits Against Lenders; Theories of Liability," State Bar of Wisconsin program, 1988
- Co-author, "Document Retention and Products Liability - Dangers in Handling the 'Smoking Gun'," Product Liability Advisory Council program, 1988
- "Judicial Intervention in Settlement Negotiation," State Bar of Wisconsin program, 1987
- "Out of Court: The Mini-Trial," International Bar Association program, 1987