Zeljko Popovic is a member of Quarles & Brady LLP’s Tax-Exempt Organizations and Business Law Practice Groups. His practice emphasizes providing tax compliance and consulting services to a variety of tax-exempt organizations that include social service organizations, arts related organizations such as museums and theatres, private foundations, universities, and large hospital systems.
Prior to joining the firm, Zeljko worked for two large accounting firms, including one of the Big4, advising tax-exempt organizations in the Chicagoland area and nationwide.
- Consult on tax reform issues such as qualified transportation fringe benefits, unrelated business income siloing, excise tax on executive compensation, etc.
- Advise clients on drafting joint venture operating agreements and tax structuring to minimize unrelated business income to tax-exempt organizations and their affiliates.
- Lead 501(r) mock audit projects for hospital systems testing internal controls and compliance with IRS regulations.
- Provide consultation on federal and state taxation of unrelated business income including foreign investments.
- Drafting and reviewing corporate governance documents and advising clients on the creation of new tax-exempt organizations.
- Guiding clients on compliance with tax laws, intermediate sanction regulations, and maintenance of public charity status.
- Compliance review of federal Form 990, Form 990-PF, Form 990-T and myriad state returns and foreign filings for various 501(c) tax-exempt organizations.
Education and Honors
- George Washington University Law School (LL.M., 2007)
- International and Comparative Law
- Highest grade awarded in International Arbitration
- Michigan State University College of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Certificate of Concentration in International Law
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.A. and B.A., 2003)
- Quadruple Major in Political Science, History, Philosophy, Russian and Eastern European Studies
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional and Civic Activities
- The George Washington University Law School Alumni Association (Board Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Serbian Bar Association (Member)
- American Health Lawyers Association (Member)