Edward Salanga represents businesses in construction and commercial litigation disputes. Mr. Salanga’s construction practice involves representing lenders, owners and contractors in contract negotiations, contract performance and payment claims, scheduling and delay claims, construction defect disputes, title insurance claims and mechanics’ lien, stop notice and bonding issues. Mr. Salanga also represents manufacturers of consumer water treatment products, plumbing components, heavy earth moving and industrial equipment, and material suppliers in product liability and breach of warranty disputes. As part of his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Salanga represents direct sales and multi-level marketing companies in state and federal regulatory compliance matters, as well as complex commercial litigation disputes, including class actions. Mr. Salanga is the Chair of the firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group in Phoenix, and a Co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate and Construction Litigation Group.
Mr. Salanga’s construction experience includes:
- Representing one of the nation's largest public power utilities in a breach of warranty dispute involving power plant equipment.
- Representing a manufacturer of plumbing component parts in multi-district class action residential construction defect and product liability litigation.
- Representing a major residential property developer in disputes against a civil engineering firm, a water company, and homeowners' associations, arising out of various large-scale residential developments in both Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona.
- Representing one of the largest contractors in the nation in various construction and contracting-related matters in Arizona, including a multimillion-dollar dispute brought by a school district over a wastewater treatment plant, that resulted in a dismissal of all claims.
- Serving as Arizona litigation counsel for the world's leading manufacturer of heavy construction equipment, including second-chairing a breach of warranty trial in Maricopa County Superior Court that resulted in a defense verdict and a full award of attorneys' fees.
- Representing lenders in connection with multimillion-dollar deficiency and lender liability claims arising from construction projects around the Valley.
- Serving as primary outside counsel in the western region for a national environmental, geotechnical, and civil engineering firm.
- Representing electrical, grading, and painting contractors in construction disputes and contract negotiations.
- Representing a national owner and manager of senior living communities in construction defect and insurance coverage-related disputes.
- Representing developers in construction defect litigation relating to luxury condominiums and condominium conversion projects in Phoenix.
- Representing an international insurance broker in various proceedings arising out of the collapse of a casino parking garage that was part of a multimillion-dollar construction project.
- Representing a homebuilder in two construction defect trials that resulted in defense verdicts.
Mr. Salanga’s direct sales and other commercial litigation experience includes:
- Representing direct sales companies in federal class action “Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act” (RICO) and consumer fraud lawsuits.
- Representing direct sales companies in FTC enforcement actions and investigations involving advertising claims.
- Representing direct sales companies in claims against distributors, including TRO and preliminary injunction proceedings to prevent distributor raiding, breach of contract claims, and trade secrets claims.
- Counseling companies on dispute resolution procedures, including arbitration, mediation and class action waiver policies.
- Defending the owner of FCC-issued licenses for broadcast spectrum in a multimillion-dollar broker commission dispute that resulted in a dismissal of the broker's claims after a one-week arbitration.
- Representing a prominent Tucson resort in an Arizona Antitrust lawsuit that resulted in summary judgment in our client's favor at the trial court, which was affirmed by the Arizona Court of Appeals.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Direct Sales Industry
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University (J.D., magna cum laude, 2000)
- Arizona State Law Journal
- National Environmental Moot Court Team
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- Vanderbilt University (B.S., 1995)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2001
- Supreme Court of Arizona, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2000
Professional and Civic Activities
- As a leader in the ABA Section of Litigation, Mr. Salanga has served as a Co-Chair of the Expert Witness Committee and the Real Estate Litigation Committee, and currently serves as a member of the Section’s Content Management Committee
- Current Co-Chair of the Expert Witness Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation and former Co-Chair of the Real Estate Litigation Committee
- President and Director, Chandler Industrial Development Authority
- Member of the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry
- Member of the Arizona State Bar Construction Law Section
- Former co-editor of Construct! – the quarterly publication of the ABA Section of Litigation's Construction Committee
- Director, Northern Arizona Advisory Board of the American Lung Association of the Southwest
- Quarles & Brady Diversity Committee
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013–present: Litigation - Construction; 2014 - Commercial Litigation)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- 2011 Graduate of Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellows Program