Jon Hackbarth is a partner in the Commercial Litigation Group and serves as the Milwaukee Office Chair of the firm’s Securities Litigation Team. Jon’s litigation practice includes defending corporations, financial institutions, financial advisors, broker-dealers, and individuals against securities lawsuits in state and federal courts across the country as well as against securities investigations and regulatory actions brought by state and federal securities regulators. Jon is also a member of the Business Law Group in which capacity he counsels corporations, financial institutions, broker-dealers, and financial advisors regarding compliance with state and federal securities laws.
His experience includes:
- Successfully defending corporations, financial advisors, broker-dealers, and individuals against investigations, subpoenas, and enforcement actions brought by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and state securities regulators.
- Dismissing shareholder class action lawsuits seeking to enjoin corporate mergers and modify related proxy statement disclosures, and, in one recent federal court lawsuit, obtaining sanctions against plaintiffs under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act.
- Defending financial advisors, broker dealers, and individuals in FINRA and other arbitration proceedings resulting in multiple complete defense verdicts and expungement rulings.
- Successfully defending a hedge fund and representatives thereof against Section 10b-5 and other fraud claims.
- Dismissing a securities lawsuit filed against a hedge fund in New York State Court, blocking plaintiff’s attempt to amend after dismissal, and subsequently dismissing a related lawsuit filed in federal court.
- Dismissing a corporate credit union’s lawsuit alleging common law and constitutional violations, filed against the nation’s largest credit union in the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
- Dismissing a Section 16(b) lawsuit seeking short-swing profits filed against a hedge fund in the Southern District of New York.
- Transferring, then dismissing, a securities lawsuit filed against a hedge fund in the District of New Jersey and the Middle District of Florida.
In addition to his securities work, Jon regularly litigates disputes over noncompete agreements on behalf of corporations, financial advisors, and broker dealers.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Business Law
- Securities and Shareholder Litigation
- White Collar Crime and Internal Investigations
- Class Action Defense
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2008)
- Wisconsin State Bar Award for Highest Achievement in Constitutional Law II and Professional Responsibility
- Judicial Intern for Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Louis B. Butler (2007)
- Legal Intern for the Wisconsin Department of Justice Civil Litigation Division (2007)
- Legal Intern for Miller Brewing Company's Legal Department (2006)
- Marquette University (B.A., 2004)
- Monash University; Melbourne, Australia (2003)
- Les Aspin Center for Government, Washington, DC (2002)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2008
Professional and Civic Activities
- Appointed as a Commissioner to the City of Milwaukee Standards and Appeals Commission
- American Bar Association, Business Law Division, Business and Corporate Litigation Committee (Committee Member)
- Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association (Board Member)
- Marquette University High School Alumni Association (Board Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars Editions 2013–2015 (Business Litigation)