Our Labor & Employment Group is listed in “The Go-To Law Firms of the World’s Leading Companies” (a special Fortune magazine supplement) and we also are numerously ranked, both on office and individual attorney levels, in Chambers USA. The team comprises a diverse and collaborative group of highly skilled attorneys who efficiently help clients address human resource issues and otherwise solve their people problems, consistent with each unique culture and tolerance for risk. But it’s not enough to be smart lawyers who are knowledgeable about applicable laws and regulations—listening to and fully comprehending each client’s short-, medium-, and long-term goals are essential to helping them develop and implement the right solutions to fit their business needs.
We work with clients of all sizes, at virtually any location, over the gamut of industries. The common characteristic among our clients is a need to effectively manage and maximize the human resources capital of their companies—we are fully prepared to provide all relevant services in this capacity. Two of our better-known clients include GE Healthcare and MillerCoors, but we serve many industries, including health care institutions like hospitals and nursing homes; schools and universities, from high schools to technical colleges and universities, whether public, private, or for profit; manufacturers such as automotive, motorcycle, trucks, tools, medical imaging, and machinery; financial institutions; mining companies; construction companies; breweries; public utilities; telecommunications; and transportation such as railroads and package delivery.
We provide a complete range of labor and employment legal services, regularly offering counsel in areas such as
- Affirmative action requirements, including development of action plans at all levels and responses to Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), and state and local compliance audits.
- Compliance with Titles I (employment), II (state and local government), and III (public accommodation and commercial facilities) of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and similar laws.
- Collective bargaining negotiations, both public and private sector, and grievance arbitrations under those agreements.
- Defense of class and collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the ADA, Title VII, and other employment statutes.
- Employment agreements, including noncompete, trade secret, and confidentiality agreements and litigation.
- Employment discrimination litigation in federal, state, and municipal courts, and investigations into allegations of discrimination and harassment based on age, sex, race, and other considerations.
- ERISA, retirement and employee benefits counseling, plan design, and litigation.
- Executive and employee compensation.
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) compliance.
- Immigration law, visa and permanent residence acquisition, and matters related to the global workforce.
- Labor and employment law audits, including analyses of hiring and termination practices, employment applications, employee handbooks, and policy and procedure manuals.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliance and related workplace safety matters.
- Recordkeeping requirements and confidentiality issues.
- Reorganization, restructuring, and reductions in force counseling, including Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act compliance.
- Training programs for managers and supervisors, in areas such as union organizing, harassment, employee evaluations, and discipline.
- Union avoidance and representation before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), including union election campaigns, decertification proceedings, and unfair labor practice complaints.
- Veterans, reservist, and national guard matters.
- Wage and salary administration, including representation and counsel regarding FLSA and state wage-hour compliance.
- Workers compensation and unemployment compensation matters.
- Wrongful discharge, breach of employment contract, and other employee termination-related litigation.