Adam Margolin is an Energy, Infrastructure, and Environmental lawyer.
On the energy side, Adam has represented energy companies, including investor-owned public utilities, transmission companies, municipal utilities, retail electric and gas suppliers, generation companies, and electric and gas cooperatives in transactional, litigation, regulatory, and legislative matters. Adam’s work before state public utility commissions and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has included rate cases, merger cases, special investigations, complaint cases, transmission line siting cases, rulemaking proceedings, and certificate and license requests.
On the infrastructure front, Adam has led a multi-disciplinary team of lawyers representing a real estate investment trust (REIT) in a public-private partnership to develop, finance, construct, and operate a transportation-related project in suburban Chicago. As part of that effort, he is assisting with obtaining the necessary federal, state, and local approvals, and drafting and negotiating various project agreements.
On the environmental side, Adam has advised buyers and sellers in business transactions involving environmentally contaminated real estate. He has also assisted clients with site clean-up operations, including former manufactured gas plant sites; advised Potentially Responsible Parties in CERCLA (Superfund) matters; and responded to US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) request for information letters.
Prior to joining the firm, Adam served as Deputy Counsel to the Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives and Senior Corporation Counsel with the City of Chicago. In each position, he worked on cutting-edge energy, infrastructure, and environmental matters, as well as on a variety of other high-profile legislative items.
- Energy, Infrastructure & Environment
Education and Honors
- University of Illinois (J.D., 2005)
- Distinction of Honors, Legal Research and Writing
- American Bar Association Negotiation Competition
- Environmental Moot Court Competition
- Washington University in St. Louis (B.A., 2002)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional and Civic Activities
- Illinois State Bar Association (General Assembly; Task Force on New Lawyers; Environmental Section Council; Energy, Utilities, Telecommunications, & Transportation Section Council)
- Young Professionals in Energy, Chicago Chapter (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Listed in Chambers USA®, Energy & Natural Resources: Regulatory, 2021-present
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2014–2016: Energy & Resources)
- Selected as an Illinois Emerging Lawyer - Law Bulletin Media, 2017–present (Energy & Environmental)