Anne ("Annie") McKeon is an attorney in the Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Practice Group. Her practice focuses on energy regulatory law in the electric, natural gas, water, and wastewater industries. She has extensive experience with state regulatory proceedings, including rulemakings, traditional rate cases, performance-based formula rate cases, and retail electric and gas supplier compliance.
Annie is well-versed in regional transmission organization and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) matters. She also has experience in cybersecurity/critical infrastructure protection, energy procurement plans, Smart Grid, distributed generation, and energy efficiency.
Prior to joining the firm, Annie was an assistant general counsel at the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, where she advised professional boards on industry practice acts, updated administrative rules, and reviewed proposed legislation. She also served as a legal and policy advisor at the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC).
Annie has written and spoken on several relevant industry topics. Public Utilities Fortnightly articles include the two-part "Cybersecurity: Opportunities and Challenges for State Utility Regulators" (February and March 2017 editions) and "Start the Conversation: A Regulator's Role in a World Divided by Distributed Generation" (September 2014 edition). Presentations include "The Acquisition of Troubled Water Systems" to the Bipartisan Policy Center Water Taskforce Roundtable, and ICC Policy Sessions "The Role of Government in Cybersecurity" and "Market Challenges to Integrating Renewables at the Regional Level."
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 2015)
- Symposium Editor, Journal of International and Comparative Law
- Legal Extern to Honorable John Robert Blakey, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., cum laude, 2012)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Women's Energy Network Chicago (Secretary December 2017-Present; New Membership Chair 2016-2017; Member 2015-present)
- Women's Energy Summit (Board Member, 2016-present)
- Andean Health and Development (Volunteer, 2013-present)