Benjamin Nielsen serves clients across Arizona and the rest of the country with a wide variety of legal issues — including serving as a trusted advisor on areas of strategy, legal and regulatory compliance, risk exposure, and enterprise opportunity — but he is first and foremost an experienced civil litigator.
In that role, Ben helps to resolve complex, civil disputes of all kinds, both in and out of court, for individuals and businesses of various sizes and types (ranging from local startups to multinational corporations), financial institutions (local and national banks and mortgage companies), institutions of higher education (public and private, in Arizona and elsewhere), and governmental entities (including municipalities and state agencies).
Ben's recent litigation and trial experience has focused on various substantive areas of law, including:
- Consumer lending/mortgage-related matters;
- Real property issues and disputes;
- Contract-based claims, commercial torts, and warranty claims;
- Construction litigation;
- Tax matters, including Arizona state tax lien foreclosures;
- Labor and employment litigation;
- Governmental or internal investigations;
- Insurance litigation;
- Franchise disputes;
- Health care and pharmacy litigation;
- Estate and probate litigation;
- Professional liability litigation, including claims for legal malpractice
The time that Ben spent serving as Associate General Counsel for one of Arizona's three publicly owned universities greatly expanded Ben's areas of expertise, including providing him with invaluable experience in transactional matters, areas of regulatory compliance, labor and employment issues, constitutional law topics, administrative law matters, intellectual property issues, criminal law matters, and so on. Ben's time "in-house" also informs his daily decision making by enabling him to better understand and serve institutional clients, and particularly those with internal legal departments.
Ben recognizes that quality legal representation often falls beyond the reach of some of the most vulnerable among us, and so Ben can almost always be found handling at least one pro bono case at any given time, through the local chapter of the Volunteer Lawyer's Program or otherwise.
A lifelong Arizonan, Ben loves the Grand Canyon State, and he particularly enjoys spending time in its beautiful north country whenever possible -- either for work, or to just spend time in the great outdoors with friends and family, including his amazing wife and three, beautiful daughters.
Education and Honors
- University of Arizona–James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2012)
- Order of the Coif (Member)
- Arizona Journal of Environmental Law & Policy (Executive Editor); Outstanding Performance in Legal Writing Award (2010)
- Civil Procedure Moot Court, Best Plaintiff’s Oral Advocate (2009)
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society (Member)
- Northern Arizona University (B.A., with honors, 2009)
- Major: English
- Coconino County Bar Association Scholarship
- Department of English Distinguished Senior Award
- Phi Alpha Delta (Member)
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2012
Professional and Civic Activities
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (Member)
- Volunteer Lawyers Program (Volunteer)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section (Member)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- Salvation Army Legal Clinic (Volunteer)
- Capital School Homeroom Program (Volunteer)
- Arizona Elk Society, Northern Arizona Peaks Chapter (Board Member)
- Legal Fellow to Senator Jon Kyl and the Senate Judiciary Committee (2011)
- Judicial Extern to Chief Judge John Roll, District of Arizona (2010)