Benjamin Nielsen serves clients across Arizona and nationwide in connection with a wide variety of legal issues -- including serving as a trusted advisor on areas of strategy, legal and regulatory compliance, and risk exposure -- but he is first and foremost a tenacious civil litigator. In that role, Ben has a winning track record litigating complex commercial and civil matters of all kinds for individuals and businesses, financial institutions and mortgage servicers, institutions of higher education, and governmental entities. Ben routinely handles all areas of business litigation, contract disputes, business torts, real estate litigation, mortgage disputes, tax lien foreclosures, and has defended clients in multiple class-action lawsuits nationwide. Ben also has a wealth of experience advising institutions of higher education in all facets of the law, and defending them in administrative and civil matters. Ben’s court room, trial, and appellate experience is extensive, and he has participated in many private arbitrations in multiple forums, including AAA and JAMS, and has argued before the Arizona Court of Appeals.
Ben believes in and uses a client-centric, results-oriented approach to each and every matter he is entrusted with and he is widely known by his clients for being both accessible and responsive. Ben focuses specifically on each client’s needs and preferences to more efficiently complete each task and to effectively integrate the firm's other capabilities in areas such as real estate, health care, employment, tax, bankruptcy, and intellectual property, to provide a full service approach.
Ben is deeply involved in his community, and can almost always be found handling at least one pro bono case, often in conjunction with the Volunteer Lawyer’s Program.
- Defended a national class action lawsuit on behalf of a logistics service and transportation provider, and obtained a seven-figure judgment in connection with a counterclaim filed therein.
- Successfully set aside three default judgments in Arizona tax lien foreclosures affecting millions of dollars in real property.
- Favorably resolved (and/or defeated) dozens of lawsuits nationwide brought by consumers under a variety of federal statutes (e.g., FDCPA, TCPA, FCRA, TILA).
- Successfully represented public and private universities in various administrative actions and before various boards.
- Advised higher education institutions on issues relating to various regulatory and compliance issues, including First Amendment law, Title IX, FERPA, and so on.
- Negotiated favorable resolution on behalf of cannabis dispensary in connection with administrative action.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended actions alleging malpractice against attorneys.
- Defended and successfully resolved dozens of title and/or mortgage related lawsuits on behalf of lenders and servicers.
- Represented multiple direct sales companies in state and federal court litigation and in connection with investigative demands and FTC actions.
- Successfully enforced various restrictive covenants, including non-solicitation and non-compete agreements.
- Favorably resolved various commercial lease disputes and/or contract claims on behalf of commercial landlords and tenants.
- Successfully represented lenders and creditors in connection with loan enforcement, creditor’s rights, etc.
Education and Honors
- University of Arizona–James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2012)
- Order of the Coif (Member)
- Arizona Journal of Environmental Law & Policy (Executive Editor)
- Outstanding Performance in Legal Writing Award (2010)
- Civil Procedure Moot Court, Best Plaintiff’s Oral Advocate (2009)
- Northern Arizona University (B.A., with honors, 2009)
- Major: English
- Coconino County Bar Association Scholarship
- Department of English Distinguished Senior Award
- Phi Alpha Delta (Member)
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (Member)
- Volunteer Lawyers Program (Volunteer) (2009-2020)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section (Member)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member); Board Member (2019)
- Salvation Army Legal Clinic (Volunteer)
- Capital School Homeroom Program (Volunteer)
- Arizona Elk Society, Northern Arizona Peaks Chapter (Board Member)
- Legal Fellow to Senator Jon Kyl and the Senate Judiciary Committee (2011)
- Judicial Extern to Chief Judge John Roll, District of Arizona (2010)
- American Youth Soccer Organization Coach (2014-2020)
- Selected for inclusion in Southwest Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars (2020: Business Lit)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" (2021, Banking and Finance Law, Commercial Litigation)