Jack develops sophisticated intellectual property strategies - including portfolio development, licensing and litigation - that drive revenue for large national and international businesses, research institutions, and sophisticated start-up companies. He develops and manages large patent portfolios and counsels clients on strategies for aligning the patent portfolios with business objectives. Jack is regularly sought by world-renowned research institutions and higher education organizations to both secure intellectual property for new developments and build revenue-generating business strategies based on those developments.
Jack has a deep understanding of all facets of intellectual property and how to leverage the strengths and weaknesses of intellectual property to further business objectives. An important aspect of the business-focused IP strategies that Jack develops with clients is licensing transactions (both in-licensing and out-licensing transactions), and litigation defense and enforcement. He is a leader in the firm's research institutions & higher education industry team, a signature practice of the firm. He also has experience working within the medical-device and high-tech industries, and uses his knowledge of industry and competitive landscapes to counsel clients during large transactions and litigation.
Jack serves on the firm's Executive Committee, and also serves as the section chair for the intellectual property, labor & employment, and energy, environmental and natural resources practice groups.
Working with research institutions to build large portfolios of IP assets for licensing, to structure investment and entity formation agreements, and other business and commercialization transactions.
Assisting clients in the medical device and high-tech industries with large transactions that involve or are driven by IP assets, including licensing, joint ventures, and acquisitions and divestitures.
- Developing complex IP portfolios in the high-tech and communications industries, including consumer electronics and telecommunications industries, and advising clients regarding standards-setting bodies in those industries.
Assisting clients with IP strategies and portfolio development for complex technologies, such as consumer electronics and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) among other medical imaging modalities.
Developing and implementing IP enforcement strategies, including patent licensing and litigation.
Assessing and implementing defenses to allegations of IP infringement, including negotiations, litigation, and administrative proceedings, such as inter partes reviews (IPRs) and covered-business method (CBM) reviews.
Assisting with technical guidance related to data breaches and potential data security and privacy issues.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Research Institutions
- Technology Transfer
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Higher Education
- Business Law
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 2004)
- Michigan Technological University (B.S.E.E., cum laude, 2001)
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2005
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2004
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Down Syndrome Association of Wisconsin (Past Board Member, Volunteer)
- Named a "2012 Up and Coming Lawyer" by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Selected for inclusion in the Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition 2009, 2013-present (Intellectual Property)