Jeff Wolf is a commercial litigator with nearly 30 years of experience representing clients in a variety of business sectors. His practice focuses on franchise, employment, health care, contract, partnership, real estate, and intellectual property matters. He also serves as outside general counsel to several Phoenix-based behavioral health care companies.
As a member of the firm's national Franchise & Distribution team, Mr. Wolf devotes a significant part of his practice to representing franchisors in litigation involving issues of unpaid or under reported royalties, fraud, liquidated damages, system standards, earnings claims, encroachment, advertising funds, trademark and trade dress infringement, and vicarious liability. He also has extensive experience handling cases requiring the enforcement of restrictive covenants and other post-termination rights and the defense of franchise and consumer class actions and other system-threatening cases.
Mr. Wolf has handled numerous arbitrations, bench trials and jury trials in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He is a highly effective, detail-oriented and responsive attorney committed to helping clients resolve their disputes as cost efficiently as possible, whether through early settlement, mediation or, if necessary, trial.
Significant litigation experience includes:
- Currently acting as lead defense counsel for a Fortune 50 company in an action brought by a fourteen plaintiffs seeking a multi-million dollar award of damages based on claims for breach of contract, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, fraud and violations of the Robinson-Patman Act.
- Defended a 900-unit franchise system in an arbitration proceeding brought by a former software developer arising from the termination of a software license agreement. The plaintiff sought in excess of $50 million in damages. Obtained a defense verdict after a two-week hearing.
- Defended one of the world's most recognized fitness chains in a nationwide class action alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Plaintiffs sought to certify a nationwide class purportedly consisting of thousands of consumers. Trial court granted Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss.
- Currently acting as lead counsel for a publicly-traded, Arizona based franchisor in the defense of a collective arbitration proceeding filed by a group of 18 franchisees alleging termination-related claims for breach of contract, fraud, breach of the implied duty of good faith and fair dealing and statutory violations.
- Served as regional litigation counsel for the world’s largest guest lodging and real estate franchisor and its numerous subsidiaries in matters arising from franchisee disputes, including enforcement of quality-assurance and brand standards and non-payment of royalties.
- Defended a major international credit card issuer against a publicly-traded corporation seeking $20 million in damages for claims alleging aiding and abetting fraud and conversion. Obtained a dismissal of the plaintiff’s claims on a Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss.
- Franchise & Distribution
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Class Action Defense
- Health & Life Sciences
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Labor & Employment
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
Education and Honors
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law (J.D., 1986)
- University of Hartford (B.A., cum laude, 1982)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Professional and Civic Activities
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Phoenix Board (Board of Directors)
- Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts (Member, Advisory Board)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Arizona (Member: Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections)
- American Bar Association (Member: Forum on Franchising)
- International Franchise Association (Member: Council of Franchise Suppliers)
- Terros, Inc. (Board of Directors, 1998–2010)
- Maricopa County Bar Foundation (Board of Trustees, 2004–2006)
- Jewish National Fund (Board of Directors, 2004–2006)
- Who’s Who Legal: Franchise (2018)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2017, 2020 Phoenix Franchise Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Recipient of Lexology Client Choice Award (Arizona: Litigation 2015)
- Arizona’s Top Lawyers, AZ Business Magazine (2014: Commercial Litigation)
- Franchise Times Hall of Fame (2013)
- Southwest Super Lawyers® (Franchise/Dealership Law); (2007-present; named among the Top 50 attorneys in Arizona in 2012 and 2013)
- Selected for inclusion in "Who's Who of Franchise Lawyers" by the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2011–2018)
- Arizona’s Finest Lawyers (2011)
- Best Lawyers in America® (2007–present: Franchise Law)
- Who’s Who in Law, Phoenix Business Journal (2006)
- Franchise Times Legal Eagle (2004-2017, 2020)