Joe Wilson is an energy and utility lawyer with extensive experience representing clients before the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin, the Illinois Commerce Commission, and other regulators. He also litigates complex commercial disputes in state and federal court. In 2019, Joe was elected to the firm's Executive Committee.
Joe spends the majority of his working hours representing clients before state regulators. Joe generally represents electric and gas utilities, as well as customers of water and wastewater utilities. He counsels—and litigates on behalf of—clients on all aspects of utility business, including general and special purpose rate cases, construction projects, mergers and acquisitions, rate disputes, siting disputes, and more. Joe's specialized concentration allows him to provide practical, results-oriented advice.
He also has experience representing client interests in disputes in state and federal court over contracts, construction defects, False Claims Act/whistleblower complaints, unfair competition, ERISA, business breakups, and employment disputes.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., 2004)
- Iowa Law Review (Note and Comment Editor; Student Writer)
- Baskerville Moot Court Competition (Finalist)
- Phi Delta Phi
- Marquette University (B.A., 2000)
- St. Thomas Aquinas Scholar
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2004
Professional and Civic Activities
- Quarles & Brady (Executive Committee, 2019 to present)
- American Bar Association (Member: Energy, Utility and Litigation Sections)
- Wisconsin Bar Association (Member: Energy, Utility and Litigation Sections)
- Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society (2013-2014)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition 2010 (Utilities)