John Hintz focuses his practice on health care business transactions, including forming and administering clinically integrated networks, negotiating managed care contracts (including risk and other value-based reimbursement arrangements), and establishing and maintaining clients’ legal compliance (including antitrust, insurance, and data sharing).
John’s experience includes representation of various health care entities, including health care providers (vertically-integrated systems, clinically integrated networks, accountable care organizations, physician-hospital organizations, hospitals and hospital systems, large and small physician groups, individual practice associations, ancillary providers, etc.), payers (indemnity insurers, HMOs, self-funded employers, reinsurers, Taft-Hartley Trust Funds, etc.), third-party administrators, PPOs, billers, and others.
Specifically, John has provided legal and strategic counsel in the following matters:
- Lead counsel in the formation, development, and implementation of one of the nation's largest clinically integrated networks consisting of 53 hospitals, 1,180 clinics, and over 8,400 clinicians, including clinical integration program design and managed care contract negotiations;
- Lead counsel to a large, multi-specialty group IPA (over 450 physicians) in the formation and administration of its clinical integration program, including the joint-negotiation of dozens of managed care contracts with multiple third party payers;
- Lead counsel in the formation, development, and implementation of a multi-specialty group IPA (100+ physicians) and its initial clinical integration program, including securing first-time managed care contracts with the IPA’s market-dominant payers;
- Lead counsel on behalf of a multi-specialty group IPA in its joint venture formation of a separate, clinically integrated physician-hospital organization designed to operate as an accountable care organization;
- Lead counsel on hundreds of managed care contract negotiations on behalf of health care providers (from solo physician practitioners to large, multi-hospital vertically-integrated systems), including individual transactions controlling revenues in excess of $200,000,000 annually; and
- Lead counsel on hundreds of managed care contract negotiations on behalf of various forms of third party payers, including individual transactions controlling revenues in excess of $250,000,000 annually.
John worked as a clinical physiologist before becoming an attorney, and is an active Adjunct Professor of Law at Marquette University Law School (teaching courses in Managed Health Care since 2002). He is a member of the State Bar of Wisconsin, the Arizona Bar Association, and the American Health Lawyers Association. John has also been recognized by Nightingale’s Healthcare News as one of the country’s ten Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyers.
John began his legal career with Blue Cross & Blue Shield United of Wisconsin, focusing on health care litigation, insurance compliance, and corporate business transactions. He then transitioned into an executive role, assuming responsibility for development, contractual negotiation, and administration of provider networks for Blue Cross and its subsidiaries, before moving into private practice.
John’s charitable work has included long-term service on the Board of Directors of the Gerald L. Ignace Indian Health Center, Inc., a Federally Qualified Health Center dedicated to improving the health, peace, and welfare of greater Milwaukee’s urban American Indian community.
- Health & Life Sciences
Education and Honors
- Marquette University (J.D., 1994)
- University of Arizona (M.S., 1990)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (B.S., 1988)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- Gerald L. Ignace Indian Health Center, Inc., Former Board Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Managed Health Care, Marquette University Law School
- Arizona Bar Association (Member)
- Recognized by Nightingale’s Healthcare News as one of the country’s ten Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyers