Justin DeAngelis is a patent attorney in the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group. With a mechanical engineering degree, clients find his technical training to be a strong compliment to his legal knowledge.
In his practice, Justin assists clients with their domestic and international patent portfolios with regard to patent preparation and prosecution, freedom to operate analyses, and infringement analyses for design and utility patents. Formerly a Patent Agent, his knowledge of the process for acquiring patent rights allows him to guide clients to optimal solutions which align with and advance their business objectives.
On offense, Justin advises clients on proper filing strategies while also providing protections in cases where analysis points to infringement by competitors. He has broad experience in preparing, filing, and prosecuting utility patent applications, with direct knowledge in a variety of manufacturing and consumer product sectors.
Justin is also a well-established member of the design patent bar, having prosecuted hundreds of U.S. design patent applications in a wide variety of product categories. He regularly counsels domestic and foreign clients on design rights, and develops sophisticated design patent filing strategies for all of his clients in the U.S. and abroad. As an up-and-coming thought leader on design patents, Justin has presented on the subject at IP conferences across North America.
During law school, Justin was a member of the Intellectual Property Law Society, a participant in the Giles Rich IP Moot Court Competition, and recipient of a Certificate in Intellectual Property. He served as Submissions Editor for the Journal of Intellectual Property, a judicial extern for a U.S. District Court Judge in the Northern District of Illinois, and a legislative intern for a U.S. Congressman.
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Trademarks & Copyrights
- Design Patents
Education and Honors
- Chicago Kent College of Law at the Illinois Institute of Technology (J.D., 2015)
- Chicago Intellectual Property Colloquium (Fellow)
- Journal of Intellectual Property (Submissions Editor)
- Giles Rich IP Moot Court Competition (Member)
- Intellectual Property Law Society (Member)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.S., 2011)
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Member)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Chair, 2021-Present – Prosecution & Practice Subcommittee of the Industrial Design Committee; Chair, 2018-2020 – International Policy & Practice Subcommittee of the Industrial Design Committee)
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (Co-Chair, 2019-Present;
Co-Vice-Chair, 2018 – Young Members’ Committee)
- Chicago Bar Association (Chair, 2017; Co-Vice-Chair, 2016 and 2018 – Intellectual Property Law Committee)
- Kettle Moraine Land Trust (Board of Directors, 2018-Present)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" (2021, 2022, Intellectual Property Law)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2020-2022: Intellectual Property)
- Recipient of USPTO Patent Pro Bono Achievement Certificate (2017)