Kaitlin Phillips is a member of the Labor & Employment Group. She provides advice and counsel to employers and human resources professionals in a wide range of labor and employment matters and provides research and litigation prep in ongoing cases.
During the coronavirus pandemic, Kaitlin has assisted clients with navigating the impacts of COVID-19 on their business operations and employees. She has provided guidance on reductions in force, furloughs and layoffs; unemployment benefit entitlement and eligibility; state and federal WARN Act considerations; COVID-19-related anti-retaliation legislation; and return to work issues.
Kaitlin represents employers across a wide range of industries with issues involving the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and other federal, state and local fair employment and anti-discrimination issues. She also prepares and negotiates employment contracts and agreements; creates or reviews internal policies and procedures and guides clients in employment law compliance matters.
As an extern in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Kaitlin gained valuable experience in trial process and procedures. During her undergraduate program, she developed research, polling and analytical skills as a student researcher for a three-year race and socioeconomic diversity study of Loras College. Kaitlin was also a four-year collegiate athlete in Women's Basketball.
Education and Honors
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2019)
- Order of the Coif; University of Illinois Law Review (Articles Editor); Rickert Award For Excellence in Academics and in Legal Writing
- Harno Scholar (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) and Dean's List (2018)
- CALI Award, Civil Procedure, Criminal Law, Advanced Trial Team, and Sports Law Seminar
- Judicial Extern for the Honorable Charles P. Kocoras, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Loras College (B.A., 2016)
- Major: Politics, International Studies, and Sociology
- Dean's Top 20 Students; Valder Social Justice Award; Sociology Student of
- Women's Basketball, Team Captain; Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference: All-Academic Team and Johanna Olson Female Scholar Athlete of the Year